Advice needed on compact amp and speakers...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by axebeatz, Aug 15, 2003.

1. axebeatz

axebeatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First off, because I'm new to the forums I'd like to say a big hello to everyone. HELLO! :D

Now that's out of the way, I'll get on with my post.

I'm going to be moving house next month, and my room is going to be small (read tiny; 6ft x 9ft). This means I'll be needing a new amp. I've currently got a Marantz PM-50 but with it being full sized and my lack of space, it's going to have to go.

I don't know what to replace it with though. My budget is around £150-£200 and I want a nice compact integrated amp. The Cyrus amps look good, though they're a bit out of my price range. Is there any other amp around that's roughly the same size? I listen mainly to braindance, drum n bass, a bit of rnb.. so a good hold over bass is desirable in a new amp (something my current one is lacking). Any suggestions would be great.

Also, to go alongside my amp, I'll be needing some new speakers. I've got no idea about which bookshelf's are good, so again I'd appreciate some suggestions.

Thanks very muchly.

2. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's your budget for speakers? Have a look at the Mission M71i at £130 retail although you may be able to pick them up cheaper. Or alternatively try the Mission M72i for more bass.

Can you be specific about what dimensions you want in your integrated amp?

3. axebeatz

axebeatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.

My speaker budget is around £100-£200, soz for not mentioning that before.

Just had a look at the m72i's.. they look pretty, I'll give em that. But I've heard Mission speakers are weak sounding compared to companies like b&w and jbl. Any truth in that?

Hmmm.. dimensions for an amp.. I'd say around 30cm wide max and a little less for depth. Not too fussed about height.

4. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One word....BULL S&%T!!!

OK that's two, anyway, the Mission M70 range are all 5 star rated speakers and have won many awards from the HIFI press.

The best way to choose speakers is to check out magazines and online reviews/opinions, and use these as a basis for doing a demo of some speakers down your local HIFI shop.