Advice needed on bootcamp/partition problem

Hi Guys I'm still quite new to Mac and have had my Macbook Pro for about a month now so I'm hoping you can save me a little time hunting about on google for answers!

Last night my mate brought over his new iMac because he wanted me to install Bootcamp and VMWare as I have on my Macbook. My plan was to have a 200Gb Partition for MAC formatted in Mac Journeld, a 200Gb partition for Win7 formatted in NTFS and a third partition for Data/Media formatted in ExFAT...this was so it would be visible to both OS's. I installed Win7 via bootcamp without a problem and once it was completed I went into MACs disk utility and made the third partition.

This is where the problem is!!

Upon booting Win7 again in either VMWare or the normal bootcamp it would appear the Win7 partition has been effected and is no longer seen as a bootable volume. So I either would like help to restore the poorly installation of windows and if its possible to structure the partitions in the way I have...or I would like advice on how to reformat both the ExFAT and NTFS partition and just to make it one big drive again in the Mac Journeald format. Once I have done that I will just reinstalled Win7 via Bootcamp and equally divid the drives space for both Win7 and MAC OSX.

Hope that all makes sense and someone can help...my mates eager to get his new iMac up and running :) Many Thanks

AVMadness

Update...showing my noobness to mac! I rebooted and held down pressing alt or the option key in mac language, i then entered the disk utility there and it allowed me to delete the unwanted partitions and resize the mac one. Only thing is now even though theres no other partition on the hard drive now other than the Mac one when i tell the Mac to restart it still defaults into a DOS screen saying "no bootable volume"....why isn't it looking at my OS X installation as its the only partition on the disc? Sure its easy to fix but can't find the answer so far!

Steve170

Don't know why it's not booting straight into OS X if that's the only partition, but have you tried checking what's set as the startup disk in the system settings (System Preferences > System > Startup Disk)? Maybe it's still pointing at a bootcamp entry somehow. Obviously you want OS X as your default.

Stu V

Update...showing my noobness to mac! I rebooted and held down pressing alt or the option key in mac language, i then entered the disk utility there and it allowed me to delete the unwanted partitions and resize the mac one. Only thing is now even though theres no other partition on the hard drive now other than the Mac one when i tell the Mac to restart it still defaults into a DOS screen saying "no bootable volume"....why isn't it looking at my OS X installation as its the only partition on the disc? Sure its easy to fix but can't find the answer so far!

Try holding down the eject button on startup

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom