Advice needed on best video connection.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Colin6545, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Colin6545

Colin6545
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello guys,

I am new here so i apologise if this is in the wrong forum, i have a query im hoping you guys can help with.
    I am trying to use my lg g5 smartphone as a method of watching video on my new lg tv, i have seen an aukey usb type c to hdmi cable as an option, there is also the option of using a sandisk usb type c/hdmi memory stick to plug into tv.

I do not want to cast the video or stream it as i believe this would give poorer quality video.

I dont mind iether, direct cable link or transfer to memory stick and watch from that, but would anyone know if there is any benefit each offers over the other, which would provide best quality playback?

Any advice would be be appreciated, thanks.

2. citywalker

citywalker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Up to fullhd you probably don't see any difference between different video transfer methods, if method itself supports your video format.
    But for 4k cables are probably best option.

3. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,138
    For downloaded video the LG TV has a competent video player built in that works with USB devices or network devices, it's not really necessary to use the phone plugged into it to act as the media player.

Image quality would probably be a bit better using the internal media player of the TV whereas on an Android phone it depends upon the media player to define image quality. Though I'd recommend tweaking the display settings when using the TV media player, LG no doubt have some poorly chosen preset settings in place.

Streaming downloaded video to the TV from phone does not degrade image quality, it is playing the file no different than if it was plugged in via USB. All that is required is a DLNA media server like BubbleUPnP, videos stored on the phone can be access via the TV's own media player which reads DLNA servers. This saves you the hassle of copying to USB and uses the TV's own built in video player.

4. Colin6545

Colin6545
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh thanks, does the component video player in tv support all common video formats? X264 265 mpeg 4 etc?

5. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,138
    If it's a 2017 model then yes it should, older generation models are unlikely to support x265/HEVC (some 2016 models do).