Question Advice needed on an old acoustimass 15 system and how to either get it working or to give up and invest in a new system

mcrish

Novice Member
Hello!

I was given an old Bose acoustimass 15 5.1 system by a relative as it was no longer used by them.

To make it work I purchased an av receiver (onkyo txnr686). Once it was set up I discovered a couple of issues:

1. One of the surround speakers female RCA input into the acoustimass bass module had lost its outer conductor meaning that the module is unable to send any signal to that speaker.

2. It powers all of the other speakers fine, but there is no bass produced by the system at all. It is essentially a secondary amp in a massive box.

I would like some advice on what to do as it is currently awful to listen to. In my view, the options are to:

- Persevere with this system as is.
- Buy a stand alone sub (with a max budget of £150) and connect it directly to the av receiver. Also purchase a RCA splitter cable and connect both speakers to the working surround outlet on the acoustimass module.
- Sell as much of the Bose equipment as I can and buy a new system. If I'm really lucky I could get back around £150-200 selling on eBay etc.

The intended plan was for the Bose system to be used for the next 3-4 years and then to upgrade.

Is it feasible for this system to be used with a different subwoofer? Will this solution be effective in solving my problem? Is connecting both surround speakers to the left surround on the acoustimass module a reasonable solution to avoid the broken right surround output connector? Or will this harm the speakers?

Have I got to the point where I'm not realistically going to be able to get anymore out of the Bose system and is it time to start again?

I don't need it to be very loud, but I would like a balanced sound (as I live in a flat and have neighbours).

The system is mainly used for movies and TV. However, with a subwoofer I will probably be very inclined to also use it for music!

I appreciate any feedback, advice and input into this annoying situation!

Thanks in advance,
mcrish

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom