Advice needed on a couple of tv's.are these any good?

giglamesh

Standard Member
First of all. I'd like to say hello to everyone. I was recommended to come to this forum on advice on choosing a HDTV for my bedroom. I've done some talking with other people on a previous forum, using my criteria. And have come up with these 3 following HDTV's to buy, I'm just wondering what you guys think of them, and if any of them are a worthy purchase.

Samsung 37" LE37R87 £513
http://***********/3p2e8s

Sony 32" KDL-32D3000 (with 100Hz+24p) £630
http://***********/3sge2h

Sony 37" KDL-37P3020 £524
http://***********/4s2hhc

Which of the two 37" TV's would be a better purchase?I want to get one for a PS3.Is 1080p very important at these sizes? I wont be missing out massively if i get either of the 37" TV's that are 720p will I? Alternatively there is a Toshiba 37XV503DB - 37" 1080p priced at £610 on amazon.

Thanks in advance!:hiya:

giglamesh

Standard Member
55 views but no replies?:( C'mon, I'm sure there are people here that could tell me which of them are a worthy purchase!

giglamesh

Standard Member
over 100views! I've decided to narrow down my selection to the following TV's.

Sony 37" KDL-37P3020 £524
http://***********/4s2hhc

AND
Toshiba 37" 37VX503DB
http://***********/5y2zfv

after doing some searching on here, i came across this comparison chart.
http://www.sony.co.uk/product/Compa...32D3000&models=KDL-32S3000&models=KDL-37P3020

Which to go for?
The sony 37" has the benifit of being the cheapest. and being a 37".
the Sony 32" is abit expensive, considering its not a 37". but it has the benifit of having 100Hz,and 24p and a digital audio out (which the other sony does not have).
The Toshiba has the benifit of being 37" and a tiny bit cheaper then the above. and it also has the benifit of 1080p and 24p, but far as I am aware, it has not got 100Hz, and i can't find out if it has a digita audio out.

QUESTION - is 1080p really that necessary?And what about 100Hz?Will i notice not having 100Hz if i opted for the cheapest one? From what I'm told, 720p vs 1080p at these mid-size TVs, the difference is almost impossible to spot,assuming that is the case.Then the Toshiba could be disregarded.However, assuming that 100Hz and 24p is not very important either, then that could be disregarded. Leaving behind the cheapest TV.

ANyone?!????

giglamesh

Standard Member
143 views!! why can't anyone here help me out?:mad:

I think I want to end up buying the sony KDL-32D3000

I just went into comet today to see how much they charge for it. There price is £750. I told them that i know a retailer selling it for £582, and another for £617, and they told me they could price match.

1 question. yes 1!!. Is this a good TV?? for my price range. Or is there any other TV thats around the same price, which I could purchase instead??:lease::lease::lease:

vickster

Distinguished Member
Why not go to WH Smiths tomorrow and have a shufty through a few mags and read the reviews for your different options :)

If you decide to go Sony, I recently bought one from here http://www.teleworldplc.com/ Good service (they also have a store in Bromley if you want to collect) - they have the one you mention for £582 online - if you buy in store, you'll get a 5 year warranty too (I assume at a higher price) :)

Feneris

Standard Member
Or you could be distracted by the Panasonic TH37PX80B 37" plasma. 100hz, 24fps and a great picture. I've got John Lewis to pricematch one to £594 with their 5yr warranty.

giglamesh

Standard Member
thank you for the replies you two!! Vickster. I sent an email to teleworld, and they told me that the In-store price is an extra £50. I know of a store called RGB direct. They live around the corner from me, so I might give them a look see. as they also offer 5years warrenty if you collect in-store.

Fenris. that panasonic sounds very tempting!It's a plasma, sorry if its a stupid question, but how much superior is that TV to the D3000? does it have an audio digital output?

giglamesh

Standard Member
I just read this article from cnet

http://www.cnet.com.au/tvs/0,239035250,240036500,00.htm

It seems to me plasmas have many advantages.. but the black spotting does seem very very off putting!
the 21inch 4:3 CRT tv thats in my room i have had for nearly a decade!
how come LCD TV's have become more popular? It's not a recommendation that i would have expected. But i am keen to understand more behind your reasoning.

vickster

Distinguished Member
RGB are established, so shouldn't be an issue. Why not ask the guys in store for advice :)

LCD lasts longer, better for gaming, no screen burn, better for the environment (no gas from LCD)...but plasma is better for fast moving sport like footie :)

I'm sure there are people on here who are much more expert than me! I think Panasonic are meant to make the best LCDs, tend to be a little more than an equivalent Sony though

giglamesh

Standard Member
oh I see.CHeers there vick. Surely it should not matter too much, as the sony one i suggested is 100Hz like the plasma one? I don't like the idea of screen burn and the black spots. I don't watch sports. I'll be using it for my bedroom, to watch TV, and to play PS3 (and watch blue-ray on the PS3 if i ever buy any blue-ray movies).

vickster

Distinguished Member
I'd go for that Sony, newest model I assume given the price :) I think it has been recommended in threads here before...the search function is pretty good so you should find some info

giglamesh

Standard Member
thank you for the insight vick. I'm slightly wondering... if i should either go for that 32" 'D'. or if i should go for the 37" 'P' which is slightly cheaper, far as i can see, is identical to the 'S', but a larger screen size, obviously without all of the 'D' features.

vickster

Distinguished Member
How far will you be from the screen? I think you should be at least 3m from a 37"? If it's for a bedroom, I reckon a 32" would be big enough unless the room is huge? Go to the shop and ask them and take a look at the options :)

giglamesh

Standard Member
I sit on my bed. about 2metres away from where my TV is now (watching peep show at the moment hehe). My room is about 2metres x 3 and abit metres.

giglamesh

Standard Member
That link has some nice info.cheers there vick. There's not much i can do in terms of re-arranging my room. My room is rectangular shaped. one end of the 2metre width is the door. the other end, is the window. My bed is placed along the width of my room, up against the window. Imagining the window is north, and the door is south. my bed goes along the north side of the room's width. i lay down/sit down facing east (so the window is to my left), with my head resting against the back board on the western wall. Looking slightly south east is where my TV is placed. It's not the best solution, but its the only thing i can do, until we move house soon.
</blabbering on for no reason>

yeah.I've gone into comet/currys recently afew times, to check the TV sizes, and see how they fare up (you never can really get the idea of how big it is by looking at it online). realistically I know that a 32" will be a big enough size for my room. Though for some reason, the 'bigger is better' ideal tempts me to want a 37", but i'll try and resist that.

thanks for your help vick! I think i will definately be going for the 32" 32D3000. It has some features such as Picture&picture,100Hz,24p, and the bravia enhancements that should make viewing more pleasant (and give it a more WOW factor). the addition of a digital audio out looks appealing. as I could buy myself some 5.1 surround sound speakers. which might be a nice upgrade to connecting my current Tele to my speaker via the Tele's headphones, into my stereos aux.

vickster

Distinguished Member
:cool: Enjoy it

giglamesh

Standard Member
It seems like the cheapest deal i could get, would be buy purchasing online for £583. or for an extra £50 and buying the TV in store i could get 5years warrenty.

vickster

Distinguished Member
Buy in store - £50 is a very good price for a 5 year warranty :)

giglamesh

Standard Member
Still having tiny doubts...

What about the toshiba 37XV503DB ??
amazon has it at £603, its 37" with 1080p

how would this compare?

vickster

Distinguished Member
Have you tried a search on that model? :confused: But won't a 37 be way too big? :confused:

giglamesh

Standard Member
Far as i can tell. the following things that i have put in bold is what the toshiba has...

1080 HD Ready
Freeview Digital Tuner
Display Resolution: 1920x1080p
Dynamic Contrast Ratio: 18,000:1
Brightness (cd/m2): 500

HDMI: 3
Main Specifications:
Picture
Visible Screen Size (cm): 94

Screen Format: 16:9
Active Vision LCD
Standard TV up-scaling
Exact Scan Mode
MPEG Noise Reduction

Selectable Picture Format
3D Digital Comb Filter
Digital Noise Reduction

Viewing Angle: 178
Luma Sens (Auto Contrast)
10-Bit Processing
Full Power Down Mode (On/Off)

Game Mode
Interactive Features
Digital Text
Electronic Programme Guide: 8 Day

Now and Next Information
Favourite Channel Memory
Fastext
Text Page Memory
Audio
Sound output (RMS) W: 20
SRS WOW
Stable Sound
Bass boost
Internal Speaker ON/OFF
Tuning

Digital Ready
Freeview Digital Tuner
Analogue Tuner
Auto Set-up
Connections
HDMI: 3
Component video
RGB (via SCART)
SCART: 2
Side AV input
PC Input: WXGA
Analogue Audio Input
Fixed/Variable Audio Output
Optical Digital Audio Output
Headphone
Sub woofer output

DVB Common Interface
REGZA Link (CEC Functionality)
S-Video
Other Features
Off timer
Panel lock
Integrated Signal Amplifier
Wall Mountable (VESA)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...

Latest News

Sky seals Studiocanal movie deal
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
iFi Audio launches iDSD Diablo DAC/Headphone amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy Buds Pro
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy S21, S21+ and S21 Ultra smart phones
  • By Andy Bassett