1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed on a compact camera

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by cubix, Oct 13, 2005.

1. cubix

cubix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Using a dated Fuji A202 2mp at the moment and was looking to upgrade to 5MP+. Looking to stay with the compact design but does not need to be ultra compact(not unless the price is right ;) ). Would like to move on a bit so a camera that is not just point and shoot but will allow me to change some settings. I am hoping not to buy new, was looking at the ixus-500 as its a year or two old now but it seems to lack manual shutter speed which is one of the things I would like to start playing around with. I am not a brand freak but would like a camera that is compact/lots of settings to learn-play with/5MP or more/3x optical or more

Cheers

2. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,233
    Why not consider a Panasonic DMC Z5 stunning performance with 12x optical zoom cost about £260-£280 its not as small as an ultra compact but is still small enough to put in a large pocket/small bag.

See review below,

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz5/

I got one about 6 weeks ago and cant put it down.

3. cubix

cubix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that KbFern,ideally Im looking for something more compact with features. So I can use it for the moment to practice on and then when Im worthy buy something like the canon 350D :smashin: . And then tell the wife shes not allowed touch the 350D untill she does her time on the compact :D

Cubix

4. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you like the look of the Ixus 500, why not go for one of the Canon S-series. Not a huge amount larger (especially the S60/70, I think) but with full manual control when you want to experiment.

Just a thought,

_

5. cubix

cubix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks UnderScore could be just the job as I see there is a s/80 out at the moment so with any luck s-60/70's will be out there for a reasonable price

Cheers :smashin: