1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed on 159" screen...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by gcibura, Mar 14, 2005.

1. gcibura

gcibura

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to find the best reasonable projector for a 159" diagonal 16:9 screen. It will be ceiling mounted, in a business setting, viewing DVDs only - no Powerpoint. So far, I have been recommended the InFocus SP5000 by a few AV vendors. Also, a Da_lite cinema screen will be used. The room size is about 30ft x 30ft. No windows. The projector, and the front row, would be at about 20ft from the screen. This is new territory for me, so any help would be appreciated, on any aspect of this setup.

2. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    If you want a DLP alternative, take a look at the Mitsubishi HC900.

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    Although that projector will fit that size screen from that distance, you will be getting a relatively dim picture. It won't seem too bad to start with, but it will only get dimmer over time.

Commercial cinemas aim for around 12 to 16 ft lamberts of reflected light from the screen. This is calculated by dividing the projector lumens by the area of the screen. On spec, that would look like 14.5ft lamberts, but in reality it's not unusual for real-world lumens from a projector to be 40% less than advertised - the rating is from an uncalibrated pj with no optimisiation for video. This means your real ft lamberts will be less than the minimum required, and will only get dimmer over time. You may lose another 50 lumens within the first 200 hours of viewing. The lamp will dim to half brightness by the time it reaches its advertised life span.

Idealy you should look for something with around 2000 lumens so that you can take into account the real figure and dimming over it's life time. You may have to consider changing the lamp earlier than it's life with a lower lumen pj. Depending on useage, thet may not be often, if at all. 1000 hours is quite a lot of viewing time.

8ft lamberts is not unwatchable, and that's what you may actualy be getting with the 5000. I would think a 1.3 gain screen would be a good idea regardless of the pj used to help boost brightness unless you will have a very wide seating arrangement. That would still only give you 10.5 ft lamberts when new. There may be higher gain screens that don't hot-spot (image is obviously brighter in the middle than at the extremes), but you will need to know what their viewing angle is - they can be much dimmer the closer to the edges you view.

What's your budget for the projector? We can then find something that may suit. If the front row is about 20ft from the screen, you probably won't be able to distinguish between a 1280 x 720pj or an xga projector, so that can open up you options unless you specifically want that res.

There are plenty of pjs out theer that will be bright enough, but not many will be optimised for home cinema. That may mean an external scaler.

That's the theory - idealy you will want to try and demo some projectors that are projecting an image the size that you want so you will know if it's bright enough for you. I know someone with a 900 lumen pj and a 10ft wide screen, so I'll try and find out what they think of the image brightness.

Gary.

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    Just been doing a search, and the Epson EMP-TW200H (LCD) at around £1000 and 1500 lumenas may just fit the bill with a 1.3 gain screen:

http://www.ivojo.co.uk/epson-emp-tw200h.htm

Do try to get some demos though, including some DLP projectors. Both technologies have their pros and cons so it pays to see them in action before buying anything. I'll have another look and see what else I can find.

EDIT: Forgot to mention Mikes recommendation is definitely worth a look despite being lower res - you may not be able to see the difference from that seating distance anyway. :blush:

Gary.

5. gcibura

gcibura

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, thanks for the thorough response. The SP5000 runs $2000US, and my budget would be $3000US max not including the screen. The InFocus SP5700 is $3000, for reference. I'm not sure how imporant resolution is because I'm really trying to provide a nice, bright, clear screen for that screen size. I'm open to any projector, but it seems in the US that InFocus is easy to get parts for and repair. InFocus customer support recommended the LP600, which is a business projector for $1800, so now I'm thoroughly confused. Maybe the screen size is unreachable at my price point, or just too high maintenance.

I looked into the Epson and Mitsu - they look great, but most of the AV suppliers seem to have limited stock with those 2 brands.

Greg

6. gcibura

gcibura

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Edit: The Epson PowerLite Cinema 200+ is available in good quantity in the US - I may have been searching for the UK version. InFocus said the distance from the screen for the SP5000 was between 19ft - 23ft; Epson's website only has a calculator for Windows PCs (I'm using Mac) and projectorcentral.com says the Epson has a distance of 23ft, which may be pushing the limit for distance from the screen.

If this Epson is the projector to go with, this looks good. I guess demoing it is really the next thing to do.

How does it compare to the SP5700?

Thank you,

Greg

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    I used the screen calculator from Projectorcentral.com, and I thought it showed a throw of between 15ft 9ins and 23ft 9ins for your screen size of 159" diagonal.

The 5700 has lower resolution but has better black level and contrast. The only real issue with DLP is that some people can see 'rainbows' due to the rgb colourwheel and that might be a problem.

Screendoor shouldn't be an issue with the LCD from 2 x seating distance, but LCD pixels only fill around 50 to 60% of the image, the rest is gaps between the pixels. DLP is around 88% fill and 12% gaps, so for the same screen size, the DLP pixels will be bigger.

Will you be watching much hi def material? Both will show HD material well, but the extra res of the Epson may be perceptible. You really need to try to demo so that you have an idea of each technology and what they have to offer.

HTH

Gary.

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,589
    gcibura

What's the application - your pushing these entry levels projectors hard with your throw distance and required image size.

Joe