1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed om cabling ....

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by nickp8, Feb 23, 2005.

1. nickp8

nickp8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I am after a bit of advice.

Basically our house is going to be totally refurbished, so I thought this would be the best time to have the cables put in the wall for a lcd. We dont currently have a lcd but will be buying one after the work is done.

What is the best thing to do:

1) Get the builder to put some trunking in the wall, in the correct location as to where the tv will be put on the wall, before they re-plaster and paint.
    If I do this will I easily be able to pull the cables through and can you get trunking big enough to pull through scart cables?

2) Buy all the cables I am going to need and get them to put it in the trunking before the walls are re-plastered and painted.
    Only thing about this method is I am worried about them damaging the cables or getting plaster on the connectors etc. Also would need to get the correct power supply cable for the LCD.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Nickp.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Damn good idea nick run more cables as well Cat5/6 etc between rooms (particulary TV and PC locations....cheap enough when gutting the house as for LCD etc you should run some 3 core mains cable to behind where TV will go (can be terminated as required) and sepeartely run some video cables from equipment location... run everthing you can nd make sure you can run more mate (Scart, Component, RF and HDMI as what i would run minimum) possibly use some thing like Cinemax CX5CV 2 runs of cable as well as VGA HDMI and a scart this will cover almost every possibility ~(some Cat5 too)

3. nickp8

nickp8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Will be installing Cat5e cable or maybe Cat6 (researching whether its worth the extra for Cat6) for a home network.
    Anyone recommend a source or manufacturer of good quality Cat5e cable?

Also having a tv distribution put in so what is being watched on the NTL box downstairs can be watched elsewhere in the house.
    From what I read RG6/U Quad shielded cable is the best for this?

Nick.

4. nickp8

nickp8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    :rolleyes: hmm helpfull lot u are

5. Filbert

Filbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    Nick,

Regarding your 1st post. If you just put in trunking and not cabling, then chances are you won't be able to pull cables like Scart or DVI theough it. Your only option would be to use unterminated cables, and then terminate them once the cable has been passed through the trunking, which whilst doable, I wouldn't recommend over pre-terminated cables.

The other problem you have is not knowing what screen you'll be buying. As well as causing issues over the connections the future screen will have, the other thing to rmember, is will it have a separate media box or not. Will all cables have to go up to the screen, or will they go to a media box, and then one/two cables from the media box to the screen?

Personally I prefer the option of a media box (more prevalent in large screen plasmas admittedly) as all the various components can be connected to it, and it doesn't affect the cabling that goes from the media box to the screen.

Not answering your questions as such I know, but just more points to consider.

Good Luck!