Question Advice needed - new RAM for an old PC

p9ul

Distinguished Member
I have an old computer which I made up around 2008 / 2009 - I tried to keep the budget down by only buying just enough RAM I could get away with, and intended to upgrade later on - which I never did.

The PC has 4GB of DDR2 PC2-8900 (which seems to be a bit rare) and earlier this year I attempted to buy a little extra but finding an exact match proved impossible - so I plumped for PC2-6400 - I expected 8GB at a slower speed would be better than 4GB running faster. (I thought the PC would just run at the slower speed)

The PC became unreliable (would reboot on a daily basis) so I removed the newer RAM and went back to original 4GB 8900 DIMMS. I'd also say that the PC has generally ran a little slower than it did originally, and takes longer to boot (Windows is an SSD).

Question is - Am I better off buying another 4gb of the slower 6400 DIMMS and doing away with the 8900's?

The newer RAM is this stuff here

Screenshot below is of the currently installed RAM.

RAM.jpg

Any advice on the best way to go about upgrading and optimizing the RAM I put in would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
RAM speeds are the highest speed they're rated to run at, they're not a fixed speed. For example your screenshot shows you're not even running at DDR2-1110 (PC-8900) bandwidth, but at DDR2-1066 (PC2-8500). You can probably run your current sticks at DDR2-800, although overclocker ram like that which pushes the boundaries can be a bit picky.

The 8GB was likely just got a faulty stick,.

At this point you're not going to be using it for anything that requires a lot of memory bandwidth so I wouldn't be bothered about frequency. Stick in 2x4GB of whatever's cheap - or 4x2GB if that's cheaper.

p9ul

Distinguished Member
RAM speeds are the highest speed they're rated to run at, they're not a fixed speed. For example your screenshot shows you're not even running at DDR2-1110 (PC-8900) bandwidth, but at DDR2-1066 (PC2-8500). You can probably run your current sticks at DDR2-800, although overclocker ram like that which pushes the boundaries can be a bit picky.

The 8GB was likely just got a faulty stick,.

At this point you're not going to be using it for anything that requires a lot of memory bandwidth so I wouldn't be bothered about frequency. Stick in 2x4GB of whatever's cheap - or 4x2GB if that's cheaper.

Cheers for the input.

I've ran the existing 4gb 8900 sticks through the windows memory checker tool with no issues reported.

I suppose the next step is to swap out to the 4gb 6400 sticks, re-run the test and those are OK, see how the computer performs for a few days.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom