1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed..MJ Accoustics Pro 50 subwoofer or a Ruark Vita 50???

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by TwinCityWild, Sep 26, 2005.

1. TwinCityWild

TwinCityWild

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Really appreciated some advice on this :thumbsup: Taking my first steps into the subwoofer world and looking to buy my first sub. I have been offered by a friend a 2nd hand MJ Acoustics Pro 50 subwoofer for about £140. The sub is only a year old and has been hardly used so is in excellent condition. Having made a point of reading up in the forum on subs..ive seen you can get a Ruark vita 50 (a make ive never heard of until reading in the forum) for £150 brand new. Im not really looking to bust my budget of £150. Just want a sub to enhance my movies not to worried about music..and the MJ Acoustics is a well documented award winner..whereas i know next to nothing about the Ruark. So if anyone has some really good advice for me id much appreciate it :thumbsup:

Thanks

Phil

2. TwinCityWild

TwinCityWild

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thought i better mention the size of the room and the gear the sub is going to be used with. The room is 14x10 and the gear i have is a Yamaha DSP A5 amp..with Mission 702e's fronts and Mission 77c1 for centre and Mission 731's for the rear. I guess the question is will the sub give me the oomph im looking for when watching films ???

Thanks again for the help :)

Phil

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    Is that 14 feet by 10 feet? Or metres. In either case I woud suggest a more substantial subwoofer. I am guessing you are meaning 14' by 10' and on that basis I would recommend something along the lines of the REL Storm 5 @ £1000, or any of its equivalents. If your room size is in metres then we have a big problem, mainly that you need a big subwoofer. I'm sure the SVS brigade will be along shortly but I would recommend the REL Stentor 3 or Studio 3 for that size of room.

4. niceguy235uk

niceguy235uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    :rotfl:

5. TwinCityWild

TwinCityWild

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice crusty..so those 2 subs i mentioned just wont cut the mustard then...not enough oomph for what i want...not looking to shake my house to bits...just want something that i will notice compared to what i have now...702e's etc. Im guessing best to save up and get something bigger and just let my floor standers deal with the bass for the time being. Oh and yeah sorry its 14ft by 10ft the room.

Thanks again for the advice..its much appreciated

Phil

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It depends on what volumes you want to play at. If you really play your movies loudly then crustyloafer is right and you should look for something bigger but if you play at normal sociable levels then either will do you - especially for music.

I have heard the MJ sub but not the Ruark and would guess that their performance would be similar which makes the Ruark the better buy in my book.