Advice needed - media player for streaming from QNAP 210P II

jonnyb

Standard Member
I'd very grateful for advise on a good media player to fit in with my existing home environment.
I have just bought a QNAP 210P II.
This will be used to hold my films, iTunes, back up my files, etc.
Not as relevant but I have 2 laptops (not macs), and iPad, iPhone and 2 TVs that don't stream.
I use a home plug system and I will be locating the NAS next to the wireless router and plugging it in direct.
The media player would be located next to the main tv and will be plugged into a home plug.
I need something that works very well with a NAS, accepts most video file formats, has a nice menu with quick access to the NAS files, a good remote and as I new to this .. Reasonably easy to set up. I also noticed that some kit allows use of iPhone / iPhone as controllers.. Which sounds good.
Much appreciated.
Jon

next010

Distinguished Member
Popbox v8 or Boxee Box.

Both allow easy creation of and quick access to network shared folders no matter how deeply nested they are.

As to which to go for, Popbox V8 has better quality remote and working HD audio pass-through but only partial jukebox (coverart/movie info) in list mode for files it has no multiple coverarts shown option, there is also only a basic iPhone remote in that it replicates the physical remote nothing more.

Boxee Box has built in automatic jukebox, slightly better codec support, buggy HD audio pass-through (due to be fixed soon apparently), it has web browser with flash support, faster GUI, Airplay support and an companion iOS app for iPhone/iPad but also unofficial ones.

The official iPad controller really doesn't integrate that much with Boxee Box, it allows picking online media for playback on the Box as well as media on the PC. The unofficial remote allows browsing your media library on the Boxee Box and picking what to play on it. I'd say the official app will probably get the full media library integration eventually.

jonnyb

Standard Member

next010

Distinguished Member
Make no difference coming from the NAS, the Boxee Box and Popbox V8 are specifically good for playing from a NAS (a lot of other players do not put much thought into quick access to your media on a NAS). You will see that everywhere good/bad reviews especially with super popular players like Boxee and WDTV.

The WDTV Live would not be a great choice in this area given what you've outlined, the Boxee Box would be the best option followed by Popbox V8 and in third maybe a Tvix player.

jonnyb

Standard Member
Thanks.. You've been very helpful..
So it's a case of you get more if you pay more... Such is life..

next010

Distinguished Member
The primary knock against the WDTV Live if your after super quick access to a NAS is that it doesnt have any media source system, in Boxee/Popbox you browse your network server add any folders you desire, they then show up when browsing files like if you had volume1\files\user\my photos, you can add the "my photos" as a direct shortcut.

On the WDTV Live you go to select network source then it just brings you to the root of the network server and that's it, you have to browse to whatever folders on on the server yourself.

Last edited:

jonnyb

Standard Member
That's pretty poor and not at all flexible. So can you set up shortcuts/quick links to areas on the NAS with the Boxee/Popbox?

jonnyb

Standard Member
Sorry. You did cover that..
Also ... Would you know if the same shortcuts can be programmed into the remotes?
And if I were to buy a Boxee new or 2nd hand.. I'm guessing there are different models. Which one are you recommending?
Thanks...

next010

Distinguished Member
At the moment there is only one Boxee Box from D-Link, a second model is due to launch soon from Iomega the primary difference being analogue video outputs and an internal HDD on the Iomega model, maybe a better remote too.

Also ... Would you know if the same shortcuts can be programmed into the remotes?

No not possible, the Boxee remote is not programmable as far as I know, it is designed for controlling the media player only. If your talking about the software iOS remotes the Reemote app for Boxee will display all your shortcuts.

The GUI on screen under Files in Boxee is where you will see all your shortcuts you've added, on the main screen under Movies or TV Shows you will see coverart/metadata for the media Boxee has successfully scanned through Files (it matches file names to iMDB entries) so you can avoid Files section altogether if you desire.

It's easier to explain with videos, you can try the PC version of Boxee as well but it is out of date UI wise.
Current UI
Review of D-Link's BOXEE BOX - Movies on BOXEE - YouTube
Older UI you can see files section in action
Playing video files from an external or network drive - YouTube
New UI coming in next firmware
Live TV is coming to Boxee - YouTube

Last edited:

jonnyb

Standard Member
Despite the higher price tag I think I'm pretty convinced the Boxee is the one. Maybe 2nd hand..
Its quite a bit more than I was going to spend but it's no good having a half descent NAS if the file access is below standard...

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom