advice needed?.(marquee 9500lc)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by carol harvey, May 22, 2001.

1. carol harvey

carol harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am looking to buy a projector.i have noticed a guy called atul who advertises in the classifed section of h.c.c.
    this guy seemed to have a good selection of projectors-but when i asked prices,he asked 12,000 for a marquee 9500lc!...no warranty...not refurbished..this seems very high...any comments from the forum?

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,057
    The 9500LC is supposed to be one of the best spec projectors money can buy. It is the basis for Madrigal and Vidikron top of the line units.

I have never seen one. I have seen a Vidikron Vision 1. It wasn't that amazing. In fact it was pretty un-inspiring. It needed set up properly (and that is the key). For £12000 I'd expect some form of guarantee. You can buy 8" units which have the capacity to offer almost the same level of performance for half that amount, with a warranty. Buy one of those, add some colour filters for the lenses if they aren't standard, get a super scaler and away you go!

If you are going to go for it with the Marquee make sure you can see the thing set up performing well. It's a lot of money to make a mistake on, but I guess you knew that.

Gordon

3. carol harvey

carol harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for this Gordon,i did think it expensive as it wasn`t refurbished or anything!

4. pronkie

pronkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cj

You could take a look at the groupbuy going on at the avsforum at the moment. it is for sony g90 projectors.This is one of the other top units. It should be near your £12000 mark but do check the shipping and any taxes. It comes with a sony three year warranty which should be transferrable to the uk.You could read up on some of the owners reviews on avs as well. Going by your profile you shouldnt have any trouble financing this deal (only kidding).

arjo

oops forgot to post the link
    http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/007316.html

[ 24-05-2001: Message edited by: pronkie ]

5. jlcrawford

jlcrawford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    CJ
    Firstly I looked at bringing in a CRT from USA and the import duty is 14% then add vat at 17.5% and this has to be added to shipping as well works about at 34%.
    I eventually visited Atul (in London) and bought a BG808s it had a burn on the blue tube and he has supplied me with a brand new one which I will get fitted close to home.
    I saw the 9500 at his home and it sure looks a gem of a CRT though I'd hate to have to ceiling hang it as I believe it weighs nearly 20 stone.
    Anyway Atul has other machines available at good prices but be sure when checking second hand machines to remove the lenses as this is a sure way to check for burns and looking into the tubes can be a bit misleading if you arent sure what to look for.

6. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i was looking at importing as well . that 34% sure adds a big chunk on the price and put me off as well

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,057
    Shipping to UK should be around $500-£700 I'd have thought.

The G90 buy seems good but then I really do think you'd be pretty mad to spend £12,000 or more on any projector without having seen it perform.

To this day the best CRT I've seen is a Runco 991Ultra which was based on a NEC XG110 chassis I believe. It's not a 9" unit but it outperfromed all the 9" units at the show I saw it at.

I have not seen a G90 but would love to.

Have fun choosing anyway.

Gordon