• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Advice needed - looking to upgrade from AV888 processor

Sab

Hi all.

I am looking to upgrade from my Arcam AV888 processor to possibly the 390 or 550. The AV888 came out in 2009, I believe. I use the AV888 with the P7 power amp and the P7 will be used with the new unit.

I recently spoke to an Arcam Customer Service. He went to great lengths to say that the 390 would be an upgrade over the AV888. Not just the 4k connections but also in the audio.

Is this actually possible? Obviously, they both have different DACs.

I am looking forward to having a 4K AV amp. I have a 4K TV. The guy from Arcam also said that all the current models supported HDR10 and have been tested to Dolby Vision standards. Can anyone with a current Arcam model please testify to this?

Is the 390 really an upgrade? Is Dirac easy to use, as I will do this myself?

camelot1971

The 390 with Dirac will be a massive upgrade. The pre amp stage is the same in the 390/550/850 so if you are not using the internal amps, get a 390.

If you want a proper pre amp, you will need the 860 but that is £4k.

GMAN40

Hi Sab,

I upgraded recently from the 888 to 950, the sound is as always sublime.

On the 950 the hdmi issues affecting the 888 are now gone and sources lock on immediately without incident.

I use my 950 with 3 P7 triamping my entire speaker system.

The models below the 950 are very good, but don't hold a candle to the 950.

Thx
GMAN40

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom