1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed: L Shaped Room

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by dmckillop, Jan 2, 2002.

1. dmckillop

dmckillop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've always wanted to setup my own HC in my living room, but can't work out how to do it with this shaped room. (Picture attached)

I want to replace my square 29" Sony TV with a 36" Sony or Panasonic TV. I also want to buy Mission M73 floorstanders for the front and a pair of Mission M7DS for the rears. A small sub could be hidden anywhere I suppose.

I think I can just about cram a 36" TV into that corner without obstructing the patio windows, not sure about the speakers though. The Sofa is opposite the TV, so the rears would be directly above your head if they were wall mounted.

Take a look at the picture, if you have any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Very tricky, if you want to keep the lounge furniture as it is. Can't really suggest anything other than having the rears mounted just round the corner of the wall which is directly behind the sofa, with them being a bipole design.

Can definately recommend these rears though, I have them and think they are fantastic.

Sorry I can't be of any more help.

3. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,529
    Yeah this is hard. Personally I would advise you to brick up the patio window, put the TV where the patio window currently is, the left + right speakers either side of it, 3 seater where your table currently is, and rears mounted on the walls or ceiling to the side or behind the 3 seater.
    Failing that I would remove the fireplace and put the TV in the middle of the south wall, speakers either side, table near the stairs and seats all facing the TV. Then yor rears could be mounted on the west wall and the wall dividing the study.
    But I guess you'll be reluctant to move the patio window or fireplace.
    In my opinion, you need to have the TV in the middle of a wall and the seats facing it. Putting the TV in the corner is convenient when the TV *is* your home cinema. But when you start adding a 5.1 speaker system, you then have to compromise on speaker position and hence sound quailty.
    So I expect you'll have to play with speaker position and see what sounds best from the main seating position. It'll likely not sound so good from the single seaters.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Not an easy one if you insist on 36" TV and floorstanders.

If you reduced the TV size to 32" and accepted a sub / sat combination it might work better as you may be able to squeeze in one speaker to the right of the TV (facing) and the other at the far side of the fireplace.

It will not be ideal having the left and right pair at different distances but it is something that I have had to do in my own house.

Ian

5. dmckillop

dmckillop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your replies.

Any building work is out of the question. It's hard enough trying to get the wife to accept moving furniture and the kids might object when they find their route to the garden will be blocked by my TV :)

I could compromise on the TV, getting a 32" instead of a 36" ; I've already got a Sony 29" and 32"WS TV's always seemed a bit small to me because of the loss of picture height.

I'd thought about getting Mission NXT flat panel speakers. These are a compromise on size but would cost quite a bit more.

Or Better still wait until I get a new house, this is definitely one thing I'll be considering next time we move!