Advice needed is my screen on it's way out

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by fuzzybee, Oct 22, 2005.

1. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I think i have a problem, my screen is either ill or terminally ill

I got up this morning early to watch a dvd while the family is still in the land of dreams, i powered up everything as normal.
    I noticed something i have never noticed before in the two years i have had my Hitachi 42PD3000, the black on the dvd screen while it powers up to the pioneer opening screen have speckles of green in them.
    It looks a bit like when you get no reception on your tv, with black and green speckles only fine green, if i sit at my normal viewing position (about 10 feet away) i cannot see the green speckles but black as normal, however the closer i go then i start to see them, the green speckles only effect the blacks onscreen.
    I have also noticed the blacks in the outer edges of the screen get lighter when you display a blank black image, i am not happy about this either.
    So i tried a dvd in my dvd recorder and get the same green speckles through a different connection on the AV box. Pioneer dvd player is through component and the dvd recorder through RGB, so this eliminates my source equipment.
    Now i am quite concerned about this and do have the five year John Lewis guarantee with my screen so should i phone them to get an engineer out.
    I tried Sky+ and that seems to be working fine, so am i being an over bearing parent if you like and i have nothing to worry about or do i indeed have a problem rearing it's green speckled head with my screen.

I know many experts read and post on a regular basis on this forum so could you offer me your opinions on this one, and how i would go about telling John Lewis/engineer that i am not happy about the situation.

Thanks for reading and for your advice if you offer it

Shaun

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Your problem is not unusual. Lots of plasmas suffer from this. It might easily just be adjustment. Have you ever used a calibration disc of any sort? If not, start with the THX optimiser on every THX DVD, in the languages section. It might save egg on your face when the engineers come. If you follow the instructions re. brightness and contrast, and you still have serious green speccles, maybe it's time for the engineer?

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,599
    fuzzybee

It might be worth powering down the Screen and Media Box and unplugging and then reconnecting the connections between the Screen and the Media box; you may have a duff cable/connection.

Best regards

Joe