1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed in setup of Yamaha HTR-5540RDS and Eltax Liberty 5.1 speaker set

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by zoolap, Jun 4, 2003.

Tags:
  1. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    A friend has got a Yamaha HTR-5540RDS and Eltax Liberty 5.1 speaker set.

The room is 4m by 3.5.
    My friend lives in a flat and there is someone in the groundfloor flat.

I'm ok with positioning the speakers, interconnects.

What I need to know is what advice you can give for:

Setting for speakers small or large (?)
    Setting of any delays?
    Sub crossover?
    Phase control on sub and recommendations on setting sub volume levels. How does the whole phase thing work?

Any other points

Thanks.

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +892
    With regards to speaker sizes etc. I would set all speakers to small, all bass to sub. Set the crossover on the sub to maximum. Start with sub volume at around halfway and either adjust via the amp (if it lets you) or set it to where it sounds best. The phase etting will vary from room to room so you'll just have to experiment with the various settings. Phase adjustment is there to bring the sub in phase with the main speakers, due to room acoustics, positioning etc etc it can go out of phase.

Delay times and their set up procedure will vary from amp to amp. For some it's just a case of keying in the distances that the seating position is from each speaker whereas others only give you the option of delaying the centre and/or surrounds. The manual will usually give you an idea of what to set these to.

Ideally you need a sound level meter to accurately balance all channels to 75db, if you don't have one then you will have to do it by ear (not perfect but better than nothing). :) Again, channel level adjustment will vary depending on the amp, so check the manual for how to go about it.

3. guyb

guyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sorry for being a bit dim but how can you tell if the sub is out or in phase with you main speakers

4. mumu

mumu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your sub is out of phase then you will lose a lot of the bass. When sound of the same frequency (ie coming from both the main speakers and sub at the crossover point) is out of phase you will have one wave reaching you at over pressure at the same time as the wave from the other source reaches you at under pressure - hence they cancel.
    It never works out quite that perfectly though and the phase switch allows you to select the best compromise (position also dramatically affects the phase relationship). In order to get the sub correctly "tuned" an infinitely variable phase control (0-180) is required.

:boring: ok lesson over :rotfl:

Why a/v amp manufacturers dont include this option on the reciever is totally beyond me, it would not be hard to implement - easier than doing so on the sub. :confused: