Advice needed improving my 3.2.2 setup

Sotiris

Novice Member
Happy New Year everyone!

I managed to get wife approval for a semi atmos setup in our living room, mainly due that she liked the look of the speakers matching our decor!

The 3.2.2 setup is as follows:

Denon X3700H
Klipsch RP 600M (front left and right)
Klipsch RP 600C (centre)
Klipsch RP 500SA (Dolby Atmos upfiring)
REL HT1205 x 2 (subwoofers)

Right now, I’ve placed the speakers where they fit in the living space. After an Audissey calibration with 3 seating positions, the sound is phenomenal. However, I am lacking any noticeable Atmos. Please see attached photo to see where things are

C21EF46F-B727-4443-A481-09CC92B729EF.jpeg

Note, the TV will be wall mounted on the chimney breast in the coming months, so I will be moving the centre speaker to the top of the TV bench, closer to ear height. I will also move the front left and right to the shelf above the one it is sitting on, the reason i haven’t done it yet is I need to reinforce the shelf somehow to guarantee it won’t snap under the speakers weight. My question is what can I do to improve the effect of those atmos upfirers?

My ceiling is just over 8feet tall, so should be perfectly fine for the illusion I’m trying to achieve.

On the receiver, I have all speakers set to small, crossovers to 80Hz. In fact here are screenshots of my settings

4BBAF608-C706-4FFB-99D5-3C74D960BBF0.jpeg

0336D5AE-E978-40A6-8A3D-5643F9E654F2.jpeg

AB2424EA-73DA-4B36-997D-5AF7428442D7.jpeg

D166F19E-E6A6-4152-BC16-9952D01D7E3F.jpeg

3BE0F7F8-8CD9-464B-822B-3923828A23FE.jpeg

BE62F1E4-BF76-4309-B868-8D3D0663BE98.jpeg

Should I toe in the atmos speakers to point at the listening positions? Or would increasing the dB level of these help at all? Or should the speaker be positioned lower on the shelf to get a wider dispersion before the sound hits the ceiling? Currently I can only hear the sound coming directly from the speaker, not from the ceiling.

Apologies for all the photos, but thought it’s best to supply as much information as possible.

Thanks in advance!

Jester1066

Here's what I'd do:

1. Bump the crossover on the atmos modules only up to 120Hz (or even 150Hz). Leave the front 3 speakers at 80Hz

2. increase the dB level of the Atmos modules up 2-3dB

3. Change the sub setting from "LFE+Main" to "LFE" only.

P.S: any reason you've not got surrounds in your setup?

P.P.S: when you do change the TV/Front speaker positions, remember to rerun Audessey

jonjames

This won’t help with atmos but angle your centre speaker up a bit as you have a bit of room.

Sotiris

Novice Member
Hey, thanks for the replies so far.

Sure thing, I will try those settings tweaks and see if I can hear the atmos reflecting off the ceiling more. I am wondering whether I need to position them closer in to the TV or angle them in at all.
The reason I don’t have any surrounds, is because I do not want to drill in walls and our baby will start crawling soon so am afraid of putting them on stands also. If there’s a safe way that doesn’t look too messy, I’m all ears. Those Klipsch RP500SA’s act as both surrounds and atmos modules, so I would be looking to get the same again.

Jester1066

The reason I don’t have any surrounds, is because I do not want to drill in walls and our baby will start crawling soon so am afraid of putting them on stands also. If there’s a safe way that doesn’t look too messy, I’m all ears.
Those are your only option really...
Those Klipsch RP500SA’s act as both surrounds and atmos modules, so I would be looking to get the same again.
Afaik, those klipsch speakers have keyhole mounts on them, so it would simply be a case of drilling holes and using a screw in the wall (with appropriate anchor - depending on wall material), and hanging the like a picture.

Worth noting to that used as surrounds these particular klipsch model speakers have to be wall mounted. They can't go on stands - as the driver orientation would be wrong (ie pointing to the ceilng).

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom