Question Advice needed - hard disk based player

J

jdough

I'm looking to replace a trio of Technics 110-disc CD jukeboxes, with a single hard-disk based player.

To be completely honest, I'm totally bewildered by current products - I was thinking along the lines of whatever the modern equivilent of a Yamaha CDR-HD unit is, but everything seems to be network based these days.

Ideally I'd like something with a built-in (but easily removable, like the Yamahas were) hard disk, or possibly connected to an external USB one.

I don't want to stream from a PC or a NAS(?) drive - just want a standalone player.

A simple user interface is a must, preferably like Sony's in-car offerings (ie: single jog-dial - turn and click to select artist, then album, and then track).

Any suggestions, recommendation, or pointers-in-the-right direction gratefully received!

HOW MUCH MONEY do you have to spend?

If you have a pile of cash, and mostly CD or digital file based music, then the Bluesound VAULT-II is an option.

Bluesound VAULT 2 Hi-Res Music Server / CD Ripper

Most Network Streaming devices have a USB input to which you can add external USB Hard Drives.

Bluesound NODE 2 Hi-Res Wireless Music Streamer

That is probably the lower cost choice. But the VAULT-II beside 2Tb of storage has its own built in CD reader for easy ripping of files. You can set the VAULT to default to MP3 or FLAC file format.

My memory is a bit foggy on this, but you can get over 1000 albums in FLAC format in 1Tb of storage space. That's ALBUMS, not songs.

Steve/bluewizard

Is this to be a standalone unit where it has own amp, tuner etc or a separate to work with other components?

If just a separate, plenty CD players or streamers with usb that can fit the job.

I personally wouldn't go with a unit that has a onboard hd due to issues if the hdd fails And the drama to get it going again

Budget is probably up to 1k or so - sorry, I should have said that from the off.

I'm afraid that I can't see how either of those BlueSound units would fit my requirements.

What I kind of envisaged was something along the lines of the Sony HAP S-1 (but not Sony!)

The Bluesound VAULT-II is a High Resolution Network with a fast processor, has a built in CD Player, and has 2TB of storage. How does it not do what you need. It many not look how you need it to look, but it most certainly does what you need.

VAULT 2 : Bluesound

The Sony has a built-in Amp, so it would be closer to the Bluesound PowerNode -

POWERNODE 2 : Bluesound

Most player allow outboard, but direct connected, storage. So, find a Network Player you like and add storage to it.

The Sony does have a HD Drive -

•Built-in 500GB HDD (expandable via USB port at rear of product)

But it is on the small side. Though remember 2000 albums per 1Tb, so, half a TB found in the Sony would old perhaps 1000 albums. And additional storage can be added.

Steve/bluewizard

From what I can make out (please correct me if I'm wrong), the BlueSound units effectively need a mobile App to control them - that's not really what I'm looking for.

The Sony on the other hand, has a display/UI and is self-contained (once you've transferred your music to it from PC).

What's the reason you don't want to control the device via a mobile app such as a tablet/phone/laptop?

Just as an example if you did go down the Sonos route you can control it from any of the above or buy a dedicated remote (CR200) and very easily access any of your music within seconds, you can set up playlists/scroll through songs/albums etc etc.

It's very easy to set up and you could buy all the kit for well under ÂŁ1000 plus have the option of adding more storage and different DACs should you ever want to as opposed to a self contained unit?

The Sonos CR200 has been discontinued for some time now though, basically because most people were going with the free phone/tablet app instead (which is better anyway), plus a few reliability issues.

What I kind of envisaged was something along the lines of the Sony HAP S-1 (but not Sony!)
So if the Sony does what you want, why are you discounting it?

We also still don't know if you're looking for an all-in-one or a separate to integrate with an existing system.

Cambridge Audio's offerings may suit either with the Minx Xi or CXN. Both are primarily streamers but will play from USB HDD. Both use a jog dial although why you'd prefer that to an app I don't know. If you want to save some cash & don't mind second hand, have a look at the CXN's predecessor - StreamMagic 6.

Last edited:
Have a look at Cocktail audio x10 or NovaFidelity x12.

No hard drive The NovaFidelity but fit the requirements wth 1 or 2 extras

The Sonos CR200 has been discontinued for some time now though, basically because most people were going with the free phone/tablet app instead (which is better anyway), plus a few reliability issues.

I know mate, I'm just thinking he could pick up a ZP90 for ÂŁ150 - CR200 for ÂŁ30 - NAS and HDD for ÂŁ100 (all 2nd hand) then just add a DAC at his leisure rather than spending ÂŁ1000 on something that will literally do the same thing!

I would and do use my ipad/laptop/phone to control a similar system but the OP doesn't want to use a mobile app to control it.

What's the reason you don't want to control the device via a mobile app such as a tablet/phone/laptop?
I cannot use touchscreens or trackpads, as I have Parkinsons.

So, is there anything else like the Sony* mentioned above (either with/without an integrated amplifier) that acts as a simple, easy to use, standalone player?

*I haven't completely discounted the Sony, it's just that I've had a few run-ins with the brand in the past!

Last edited:
I cannot use touchscreens or trackpads, as I have Parkinsons. Happy?

How was I supposed to know that? I was asking as I was trying to help save you some money and recommend a system that I know from personal experience works! If you said in your opening post due to a medical condition I can't use trackpads at least it'd of been a little clearer.

I suggest you lose the attitude if you want continued help on here!

I suggest you lose the attitude if you want continued help on here!
There is no "attitude", but perhaps a misunderstanding of the tone of my previous post - I made no previous mention of it, because I didn't consider it to be particularly revelvant...

I did however, express a strong preference for a simple, jog-dial style controller :)

EDIT: in retrospect, adding the "happy?" was unnecessary - my apologies :(

Last edited:
There is no "attitude", but perhaps a misunderstanding of the tone of my previous post - I made no previous mention of it, because I didn't consider it to be particularly revelvant...

I did however, express a strong preference for a simple, jog-dial style controller :)

EDIT: in retrospect, adding the "happy?" was unnecessary - my apologies :(

Apology accepted, thank you.

I concur you don't have to disclose your medical conditions but know from past experience know some people don't like using mobiles etc due to it being so daunting however now we know your reasons we can move on and find something more suitable for your needs.

Hope you get something sorted.
All the best

I'd say if you can't use iPads or track pads because of your condition you want to try and find a streamer that has good jog functionality and can fast forward quickly alphabetically to the album or artist of choice using a remote. This can often be difficult in some makes as they are geared up for iPad use.

I have a cyrus streamer and moving by remote to the next artist requires a button press for each different artist and considering the number of albums and artists, it would be very laborious to reach the artist.

I'd contact manufacturers and tell them your requirements mentioning this.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom