1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed...getting sky+ and a HDD/DVDR?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by mjirvine, Dec 10, 2004.

1. mjirvine

mjirvine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all,

I eventually got around to cancelling NTL digital and switching to sky+ yesterday :thumbsup:

they are coming to fit it on tuesday (14/12/4) so not bad service around Xmas!

I was wondering though, I am quite keen on a DVD recorder and am wondering what extra functionality I woul dget from having a HDD/DVDr combo aswell as sky+? ie is it easier to edit out the ads etc?

I was planning on getting the toshiba RS32 DVDR mainly due to its excellent relative value....I am REALLY ****ed off that manufacturers seem to think they can charge an extra £500+ for 200-250Gb versions of their HDD/DVDRs when the difference in HDD price is £50-100 max!!!

Anyway I can put a 200GB drive in the sky+ box anyway.

I take it there woudl be no issues with transferring programs between the RS32 and the sky+ box??? ir can I shuffle them around, remove the adverts and put them back on my (soon to be) larger sky+ disk?

any recommendations about connecting up all this kit? (don't care about analogue TV).

LG RZ42PX11 plasma - 2xS-vid, 3xscart (1 RGB) component/rgb/DVI
    Sky+ - ?s-vid/scart
    Toshiba RS32 HDD/DVDR
    Samsung DVD/VHS combo - scartx2 plus S-vid
    Samsung HD945 DVD -- DVI/component
    (temporary) LG DVD surround system - S-vid/composite withtoslink and rca audio in.

I would ideally like to be able to record from
    Sky+/DVD/Toshiba/VCR to archive my vhs tapes to dvd and possibly Sky+ and Toshiba to vhs to lend out etc....I am not sure if this will be possible without messing around with cables each time??

thanks for your patience as I am very new to all this! :clap:

MJI

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The editing ability of HD/DVD recorders varies depending upon make and model, I don't have enough experience with them but there is a dedicated DVD recorder forum which should supply you with more answers to that question and how to connect various boxes to a HD/DVD recorder:)

SKY+ can only record from it's internal digital tuners, it can not record from an external source and anyway if you edit out ads etc then burn the resulting file to DVD I don't see any reason to put it back onto SKY+ even if you could.

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The RS232 port on the Sky+ box is only used for diagnostics and firmware uploading in the factory. It is of no use to the end user. The stuff on the Sky+ hard disk is stored in encoded form, and decoded when played back, where it appears at the AV jacks and nowhere else.