Advice needed; Freesat or Freeview/Play

silverpuma

We have Skyq with the main skyq box and 2 mini boxes serving 3 tv's. I want to leave sky.

One of the tv's has Freeview Play included, the others are older smart tv's so don't have Freeview/play built-in.

Do I need 3 indoor Freeview ariels for the 3 tv's or am I better to get a rooftop Freeview ariel and can I then split the signal to my 3 tv's. Is it good practice to get a booster or amplifier if this can be done? If so, any recommendations on ariels/boosters/amplifiers would be a great help. I know I will need to get some sort of Freeview boxes for 2 of my tv's.

This is a minefield of options etc with so many different permutations its very confusing for a retired old codger like me.....o_O

Or should I really try to confuse things and try to utilize my sky disk and consider Freesat on my 3 tvs? As you can see I'm trying to work my way through this decision so any advice, corrections, etc would be appreciated.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
$ky Q = new lnb for older (no longer made) freesat boxes or the new freesat 4k boxes can use the Q wideband lnb. How to Get Freesat | Freesat (See the Arris thread).

LOCATION (village, suburb name or a nearby postcode ?) will dictate the UHF TV aerial needed for Freeview reception and whether room aka set top aerials might work, or one in the loft or roof. But the network is designed around external aerials at 10m above the ground (two storey rooftop level).

Location will determine the received signal level which will then determine aerial type to use and whether passive splitting or active (amplified splitting) is required.

If the TVs you have are so old as to not have a digital tuner, it may be time to consider replacing them rather than buying tuner boxes? The only readily available Freeview-approved stb only has hdmi connection, which older TV sets may not have?

You don't need new boxes for older smart TVs with Freeview. Freeview Play is mainly a 'backward epg' to hook into the catchup services of some (not all) broadcasters. Unless that backward feature is really wanted and used a lot there are other ways to do that vie cheap streaming sticks (maybe even via the smart TV apps).

silverpuma

Capture.PNG

silverpuma

I went on the freeview site and got this more acuate info. I'm from Londonderry so it looks good all in the green....am I reading this correctly?

silverpuma

To help my understanding, if I went the Freesat route and bought the Arris box but since there is only one pair of satellite cables to my current skyq box which the Arris would be rplacing (the other 2 mini are via wifi) how would I connect my other 2 tvs with Freesat boxes I would need? Do I need a new LMB and run two more sets of satellite cables to the 2 new freesat boxes?

Or is the Freeview/Play route better or at least less complicated and perhaps less expensive getting the 3 tvs up and running?

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
I went on the freeview site and got this more acuate info. I'm from Londonderry so it looks good all in the green....am I reading this correctly?
Londonderry is a 3 multiplex "Freeview Lite" transmitter, so not the full possible line-up of channels. (Use the less detailed view to see what).

Green with 100/100 (S/M) just means no interference from other transmitters is predicted in your 100mx100m prediction square of the map. But says nothing about signal levels that you'll get.

Using the Ballyoan Cemetery postcode suggests that Limavady is an alternative with good interference predictions. That's a 6 multiplex site with more channels.

Wolfbane suggests that Londonderry is 70dBuV/m and Limavady only 46 dBuV/m. The former might work ok with set top aerials (especially in upstairs rooms) or a loft aerial; but the latter would likely need an external aerial fitting.

Easiest route for three freesat 4k boxes is to change LNB for a quad (one recorder, two live TV only) or octo lnb (three recorders). Will need cables run to each room from the dish to ssuit. It would limit the number of simultaneous recordings a single box can make to two. With a wideband LNB the freesat 4k box can do more.

Question - Ditching Sky Q what kit's needed for a multiroon alternative? may be worth a read if you want a real alternative to multiroom via smart TVs streaming from a box?
It's similar to what I'm considering if/when my old Foxsat PVRs die.

silverpuma

Londonderry is a 3 multiplex "Freeview Lite" transmitter, so not the full possible line-up of channels. (Use the less detailed view to see what).

Green with 100/100 (S/M) just means no interference from other transmitters is predicted in your 100mx100m prediction square of the map. But says nothing about signal levels that you'll get.

Using the Ballyoan Cemetery postcode suggests that Limavady is an alternative with good interference predictions. That's a 6 multiplex site with more channels.

Wolfbane suggests that Londonderry is 70dBuV/m and Limavady only 46 dBuV/m. The former might work ok with set top aerials (especially in upstairs rooms) or a loft aerial; but the latter would likely need an external aerial fitting.

Easiest route for three freesat 4k boxes is to change LNB for a quad (one recorder, two live TV only) or octo lnb (three recorders). Will need cables run to each room from the dish to ssuit. It would limit the number of simultaneous recordings a single box can make to two. With a wideband LNB the freesat 4k box can do more.

Question - Ditching Sky Q what kit's needed for a multiroon alternative? may be worth a read if you want a real alternative to multiroom via smart TVs streaming from a box?
It's similar to what I'm considering if/when my old Foxsat PVRs die.
@Rodders53 Thank you so much for the detailed response and help. I really appreciate it. I need to do a lot more reading and research before taking the plunge.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom