Question Advice needed for upgrading old setups AV reciever

lewyst

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, i recently decided to set up an old 5.1 system that we had collecting dust, and have been really inpressed with how it improved my movie watching experience. However ive been having some problems that i believe are caused by a crappy av receiver so i am looking to get a new one.
The problems i am having are a backround hiss aswell as the front right input having a dodgy conection that i have to play around with to get any sound out of that speaker.

My current setup is a Sony STR-DE545 with 5 Sony SS-MS7's and a Sony SA-WMS7.
I think i have decided on upgrading the reciever to a more modern unit that will allow for future speaker upgrades. I hope to spend no more than £ 300 on a new or used reciever and i want to it have dolby atmos. As in the future i hope upgrade the 3 front speakers aswell as the sub making use of 2 of these speakers in either a 7.1 or 5.1.2 setup.

A used Denon AVR-X2300W is currently what i have in mind as there a few being sold on ebay.

If it helps this system will curently be set up in my bedroom which is about 10 x 15 ft. Any general advice on how to improve my setup is also welcome.

Thanks in advance and sorry if this makes no sense.

Hi everyone, i recently decided to set up an old 5.1 system that we had collecting dust, and have been really inpressed with how it improved my movie watching experience. However ive been having some problems that i believe are caused by a crappy av receiver so i am looking to get a new one.
The problems i am having are a backround hiss aswell as the front right input having a dodgy conection that i have to play around with to get any sound out of that speaker.

My current setup is a Sony STR-DE545 with 5 Sony SS-MS7's and a Sony SA-WMS7.
I think i have decided on upgrading the reciever to a more modern unit that will allow for future speaker upgrades. I hope to spend no more than £ 300 on a new or used reciever and i want to it have dolby atmos. As in the future i hope upgrade the 3 front speakers aswell as the sub making use of 2 of these speakers in either a 7.1 or 5.1.2 setup.

A used Denon AVR-X2300W is currently what i have in mind as there a few being sold on ebay.

If it helps this system will curently be set up in my bedroom which is about 10 x 15 ft. Any general advice on how to improve my setup is also welcome.

Thanks in advance and sorry if this makes no sense.
You could get a new X2500 with a 3 year warranty for £349. A bit more than your £300 budget but has a longer guaranteed working life than buying 2nd hand off ebay.
Denon AVR-X2500H
or a B grade X2300 with 12 months warranty from Hyperfi for £249.99
Denon AVRX2300 Network AV Receiver AVRX2300W Black Dolby Atmos What Hifi Award

You will be better off with the receiver that has been promoted above. It will be fine with your speakers as they are rated at 8 ohm.

thanks for the responses, from what im reading the X2500 and X2300 are very similar, is there anything that makes the X2500 worth £100 more, other than the warranty.

After looking thurther it seems that the X2500 is not in stock anywhere, i have sent a email to hyperfi as i want to know the condition of the x2300 after seeing the bad reviews of hyperfi on trust pilot.

while waiting for a response i found what seems to be a good deal on a pioneer VSX-933.
Though i am not sure how this compares to denon units.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom