Question Advice needed for upgrading multi room satellite system

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by codlord, Apr 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am wanting to upgrade the satellite system in a property. However, I only know the basics of satellite systems and I don't know the full current setup yet (like how many dishes or LNB feeds are coming in). However...

The setup currently has a Fuba OSP 510 amplifier/splitter which has 4 sat inputs and 10 outputs. (So I am assuming there is at least 1 dish with a quad LNB feeding to this).

And this Fuba OKB010 unit which I *think* is pre-tuned to a number (possibly 9?) of specific channels and sends just those channel signals out - so the TVs it's connected to only receive those channels. I have not been able to find any English documentation for this hence I am not entirely sure what it is or does!

I think the bedroom TVs are currently connected to the pre-tuned box so they can only get a few channels and the Lounge TVs currently have FreeSat boxes I think which are fed directly from the splitter so they get the full range of FreeSat channels.

What I want to do is update the system and the TVs to ones with integrated FreeSat tuners so that ALL Lounges and ALL bedrooms get the full range of FreeSat channels.

There are currently 22 TVs in the property - so would this require a certain number of dishes or LNB feeds or can I just get another splitter system to split the 4 input feeds to 22 output feeds? Can you split a quad LNB feed to any number of outputs? Or is there a certain limit before requiring more inputs?

Any help much appreciated, thanks.

2. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,327
    The Fuba OSP 510 is a multiswitch with 5 inputs (4 satellite probably from a quattro lnb and one terrestrial from a UHF aerial) and 10 outputs. What you would need is an additional 4 or 5 input multiswitch with 12 outputs (a 16 output would be preferable and give redundacy for additional outlets or failure) 4 off 2 way splitters (possibly amplified). This would give the required 22 outputs but would certainly require professional installation to balance all inputs and outputs. Hopefully the existing OSP 510 would be compatible witj a new multiswitch but may require replacing.

BTW the OKB 010 is a headend and second hand on ebay sell for up to 800 Euros so if it is working do not bin it or give it away (unless you are feeling generous)

3. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that Dave. So I wouldn't need extra dishes or LNB feeds, just new or additional splitters/amplifiers etc. I certainly will get a professional involved in any purchases or installation but at this stage I just need to know what is required so I can estimate costs and make some informed recommendations.

Am I correct in what I assume the OKB 010 actually does - outputs a handful of channels (that you can select on the device)? I am guessing the TVs it feeds don't have satellite tuners so it was a cheap way of sending a few select satellite channels to basic cheap TVs? I guess when the stuff was originally installed it was a cheaper alternative to having satellite decoder boxes or TVs with satellite tuners in every location.

4. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,327
    I can find little in English on the specs of the OKB 010 but from my limited techical knowledge of German it appears to output in the satellite frequency band - so I would check the TVs they may well have satellite tuners although they almost certainly will not be freesat compatible but merely generic FTA (Free to Air = subscription free) if anything. Freesat is only an EPG (Electronic Programme Guide) for about half of the FTA channels on 28E (although these are the most wanted/used channels - BBC, ITV etc). All the FTA channels (except possibly HD versions of channels depending on age and spec of tuners) will be receivable on any generic FTA satellite tuner whether in TV or set top box.

So basically I would check the make and model numbers of the TVs already installed and look up their specs on the web (or post them here) as they may not need to be replaced if working satisfactorily at present. They may well have a limited "now and nexT only EPG.

I think the OKB 010 if it does in fact output on satellite frequencies was a way of distributing signals from multiple satellites to simple (cheaper) TVs/set top boxes that did not have the ability to switch between satellites.

5. crockett

crockett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    If you are replacing or adding an extra multiswitch I would recommend you look at ones which are dSCR compatible as this would Sky Q enable the system, whilst also supporting legacy equipment like Sky+HD or Freesat. It would also be capable of feeding both tuners on most Sky+HD receivers via a single cable drop. Some examples are shown HERE

6. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,327
    From the equipment fitted already (note original cost of the two unite quited around 2,000 Eiros) I would suggest that this is not in the UK. If it is in the UK then 22 rooms would be beyond Sky Q and would constitute a commercial installation. Perhaps the OP could clarify. I guess a hotel or convention centre.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  7. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, you are correct it's not in the UK, I manage some properties for a holiday company, this property with 22 rooms is in Austria and is in fact 4 separate but adjacent properties all fed from one rack of IT/AV/Satellite systems so I'm treating it as one system/project.

As most of our guests are English (or English speaking) we tend to supply UK FreeSat where we can (as well as other online services such as NetFlix etc via Apple TVs). We do have a few properties with Sky so it's worth noting about the Sky compatibility etc, thanks, I am learning a lot!