1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed for speakers for Stereo/Classical use

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by bcom75, Sep 2, 2005.

1. bcom75

bcom75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi to all
    I am looking around for some relatively affordable pair of speakers for Stereo use. I need an amp too, starting from scratch. My total budget (amp + speakers) is in the 500-900 Euro range. Intended use is almost exclusively classical+jazz, very acoustic.
    Initial research, given the availability where I live (Italy) has produced the B&W 602 S3 as frontrunners, although I have heard that Chario Silhouette could fit the bill well too. Could anyone please provide feedback on these and other models, in the similar price range? Also, even though we go slightly off topic, advice a on good, affordable stereo amp is also happily accepted.
    Many thanks for any advice!

2. Kish Kash

Kish Kash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    WOW! Someone asking a question about stereo, as opposed to flippin' 5.1 speakers for a change! They should re-name this forum "surround speakers" really :(

anyway....

I think your best bet is the KEF Q1: http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_read.asp?ID=2455. OK, so they don't the frequency extenstion of the B&W 601 S3, but they sound a bit smoother in my opinion. Also, Epos are worth checking out. Good all-rounders, but not very pretty!

I would normally recommend Revolvers, but they are not distributed in Italy. Shame, because the R16's are amazing: http://www.revolveraudio.co.uk/features.htm

As for a matching amplifier, The older Musical Fidelity X series were nice & smooth - very warm & musical for budget solid state amplification! I think you should try to find a used X-A2: http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/hfw/reviewshtml/mfxseries.html

I hope this helps

KK/DT

p.s. I love italian hi-fi by the way - Audio Analogue, Pathos, Sonus Faber, Opera, Unison etc. - gorgeous stuff :smashin:

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Shock horror - the speaker questions in the AV forums are mainly about AV speakers :rotfl:

Actually there is a specific forum dedicated to two channel equipment a couple down from this one.

4. Kish Kash

Kish Kash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know, but I don't like asking questions in about speakers in the "hi-fi systems" forum (which to me means "seperates"), when they have their own dedicated forum.

When I think "speakers", I immediately think "stereo", whereas most others seem to think "surround".......

I guess the same holds true for the "integrated amps & receivers" forum and the "pre-power" forums - they're biased to AV, rather than stereo/hi-fi.

KK/DT