Advice needed for speaker settings...Newbie!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Debs67, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Debs67

Debs67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello!
    Sorry this is a bit long...
    I have done a lot of searching on the net and now have info over load!
    I keep hearing conflicting views so I've decided to post my specific specs and see who comes to my aid! I don't need to hear if my system is any good,just how I can make it sound the best it can,in a pretty small living room! I'm particularly confused about what crossover frequencies to use,large or small fronts and what hig cut freq for the subwoofer.My subwoofer doesn't seem to turn on when it should,due probably to my wrong settings! At the moment I have set on my receiver- speakers as small,80hz crossover,subwoofer to reverse, LFE/Bass out to sub only and on the subwoofer I have phase control on Reverse,High cut at 100 khz and vol at about 10 o'clock.I have it set to High auto stand by.
    I don't claim to understand all this,it's just what I have read and followed!
    I hope I will give the right info!

Here is my system (the surrounds will be changed in the near future ;) !)
    Yamaha RXV-650 (7.1 channel,7 x 95 watt)
    Wharfedale Diamond 8.3 fronts (6 ohm,40-20 khz,165mm Kevlar 25mm silk dome, 100 watt rms)
    Wharfedale Diamond 8 Center (to arrive in the next few days)(6 ohm,60-20 khz,2 x 130 Kevlar 25mm silk dome)
    Yamaha YST-SW215 Sub (150 watt,30-200hz low freq,20cm multirange driver,normal and reverse phase switch,HIgh,Low and off auto stanby,rca and normal speaker connectors at the back))
    Wharfedale Diamond 4 Surrounds (100 watts rms,8 ohm)
    Surround back speakers (Pair of old speakers from Philips Pro logic TV! :rotfl: )

I have my subwoofer connected by the L line out on the subwoofer to the pre-out jack on the receiver.
    Any help will be much appreciated and in simple terms please!!!!
    I know about the sub placing by the way!
    Thanks,
    Debs :thumbsup:

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Speakers set at small with all bass and LFE directed to the subwoofer and an 80Hz cutoff seems a reasonable place to start. Try the phase in normal as well as reverse to see which sounds best as it will depend on your room and the sub's position within it.

I would switch the Auto switch off as they are frequently more trouble than they are worth.

The hardest part is getting the volume levels correct. These are best done using a sound pressure level meter and the test tones in the amp so that you can ensure that all five speakers plus the sub are outputting sound at the same volume levels.

The other thing to try is moving the sub around a bit as even a few inches in or out from walls and corners can make a lot of difference to the sound quality

3. Debs67

Debs67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ian,I think I will shut off the auto switch.
    When you say try the phase at normal,do I have to put that setting on the sub and the receiver?
    I'm really limited with where the sub can go,a corner is not possible,but I have it next to the front right speaker and on the otherside is a cabinet, which is acting like a "wall" I suppose.

One more really stupid question! What sound am I expected to hear from the subwoofer? I didn't know anything about them when I got it,so I thought I'd hear proper sounds or even voices,but all I hear are deep sounds and sometimes like a deep sounding wind. Is that normal? I live in Greece and in my area sound and audio type shops are extremely linited! :(
    Sorry if that question is really lame! :suicide: I know subs are for the low bass sounds,just didn't know what to expect!
    Thanks again!
    Debs

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I haven't come across a phase setting in an amplifier before but most of all subwoofers have one. If the sub is right next to a main speaker the phase should more than likely be at normal or zero as the sub tends to be out of phase with the speakers when they are in a different plane.

If your subwoofer is correctly set up you should not be able to hear anything coming from it as it should appear that your main speakers can go deeper than before and if you can hear the sub it is probably too loud so turn it down a bit.

The way to tell what effect a well integrated sub is having is to listen to a piece of music then switch the sub off and listen to it again.

There is no such thing as a stupid question but merely questions that you don't know the answers to so don't worry on that score.

5. Debs67

Debs67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My receiver does have a phase control,so I'll put it the same as the subwoofer.
    When I said I can hear those sounds from the sub,I meant when I put my head close to it,as I couldn't tell if it was working! So I guess that's a good thing!
    I tried listening to a Cd with and without the sub and I could really tell the difference! So I think I'll keep the settings I had,but check out the phase on normal!
    Thanks so much for your help! :clap:
    Debs
    PS I'm sure I'll be posting again with more questions I need answering! :D