Advice needed (for semi noob)

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Fausto198, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Fausto198

Fausto198
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI Guys,

Im new here so please forgive me if I've posted in the wrong place or used the wrong terminology but I need your help to solve the following problems.

We have a number of Monitors which display a static web page which are currently fed from a PC via VGA which as you can imagine is very poor.
    Some also have Exterity receivers attached to them to receive IPTV and we just switch inputs on the monitor as required.
    So I was wondering if something existed which could stream IPTV and had a web browser.

Some of you will be saying "just use the exterity receivers" as they can receive a streamed web pages, the problem with this is not all monitors have an Exterity receiver.
    As you may know Exterity receivers are very expensive, so was looking for a cheaper alternative to make all screens usable for IPTV. Do you know of any media streamers which can listen for SAP announcments can receive UDP multicasts and stream H.264 video and have a web browser?

A remote UI via IP would also be required although not a show stopper if the other requirements were met.

Have looked at Raspberry Pi but they doent seem to support VLC player yet. Roku and WD, on paper at least dont seem to fit the bill either.

And advice or suggestions would be gratefully received.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,515
    Hi Fausto198 and welcome to the forum :hiya:

What is the source of the TV sent into the Exterity system? If it is a Sky/Freeview box etc then you could just use HDMI over CAT baluns, but these wont work over a computer network as they are not IP converters. You would need to run dedicated CAT5/6 cables to each monitor.
    HDMI Over Cat5 Ethernet Cable - TVCables

If the IPTV is pre-recorded then you could use a Digital Signage solution instead for both the video and the text/pictures that are on the web page displayed.
    Popcorn Hour : Popcorn Hour S-300

Mark.