1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed for relative newbie...

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by plthomas, Aug 24, 2005.

1. plthomas

plthomas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

There are many posts in the forums regarding connecting Sky to PC but I’m unable to find anything specific to my problem… I’m hoping someone can help me out.

I’ve used a plain old S-Video cable and red/white audio leads to connect a Sky+ box to an Advent Multi Media PC running MCE2005. The PC has is a 3.0GHz Intel Pentium 4 Processor 630 with 128mb NVIDIA 6600 graphics card and Realtek ALC860 audio. An LCD TV is connected via VGA and sound is output to an amp, again via red/white jack connectors.

When playing SKY TV, the picture quality is really poor - It’s very washed out and not sharp looking at all. Then there’s the sound….. It’s very poor quality and almost muffled. :mad:

Is this as good as it gets, or would upgrading the TV cards improve the situation? I’m unsure what model of card is currently in the machine. Can anyone please offer suggestions before I return the Advent for a refund?

The Advent seems fine in all other respects. DVD picture looks sharp and sounds great, home movies play fine when connected via fire-wire and the PC picture is pin sharp… it’s just the damn TV!

Many thanks in advance,
    Paul.

2. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    what are your cables like. Very cheap ones you had lying around, or shiny super expensive monster cables? If the former try replacing them with reasonably priced new cables eg from Mark Grant, or Maplins.

There may be some configuration issues as well, but sometimes its the simplest answers.

Oh yes and washed out doesn't mean B&W does it? If its B&W then your configuration may be wrong as that would imply your treating plain old composite video as S Video, although that's unlilkely if you are using and SVideo connector at both ends.

Cheers

Rajiv

3. plthomas

plthomas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, the cables are just cheap ones.... I'll do as you suggest and get some higher quality ones from Maplins.

Device manager lists the TV tuner card is as a AVerMedia A169 - has anyone any experience of these? If so, what quality of picture & sound do you have?

I thought it might be a driver issue... I've hunted, but am unable to find any that work. Those I did find on www.mediaatlantic.com crashed the machine and I had to roll 'em back...

No, the picture is not B&W - just poor colour.

Cheers, Paul.