Advice needed for recently purchased Panasonic PW6

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by Steyarbs, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Steyarbs

Steyarbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I recently purchased a Panasonic PW6 for £650, it has only had 162 hours of use and I suppose my first question is was it worth the money?

Secondly

I have the Denon AVR-1802, this unit has 4 inputs for "s-video in" and 3 for "s-video out", It has the same again for component? (I think that the yellow jack plugs on the back are component, is this right? They are labelled video...)
    Should I use this to feed the TV by purchasing an s-video card and then plug everything else into the AV unit?

The TV came with two input options, 1 for VGA (computer?) and one scart card. What would be the best way for me to link up Sky+, Xbox360, PS2, Gamecube and HD DVD player? I do have a Scart extension box which enables me to flick through 3 different connections, I can't help thinking that the picture quality will be affected by this method though.

I am willing to purchase extra cards, connections if needed. I think there is a add-on card that incorporates component "video in" and "s-video in" which takes up slots 2 and 3 on the TV for £125 or there around.

I haven't set the TV up yet as I wanted to know the best way to go about it so all advice will be much appreciated..

many thanks in advance

Steve

ps. Sorry if this question has been asked already, I did search the boards but kept getting too involved in reading other articles...great forum...complete noob to this too so didn't understand some of the technical terms that were used.

2. Steyarbs

Steyarbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    *bump*

Please guys, any ideas....

:lease:

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Hi steve, the connections you want are red, blue and green phonos on your amp. If you don't have them do not despair. You can get a priority component switcher from www.jstechnology.com for DVD and 360, and use rgb or s-video into scart for sky, PS2 and gamecube. Slight complication, the gamecube does not do s-video. 2 options, either press the input button again, to get out of s-video mode, or buy RGB scart adapters for PS2 and GC, and use a scart switch. It may not be perfect, but I'll bet you will still be dumbstruck.

4. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    loads of questions in there, and yes it seems a reasonable price but firstly the yellow connectors are composite not component and are the lowest quality of the options. The 1802 doesn't have component and I wouldn't recommend it for video switching. You can buy different boards for the panasonic and you could buy a newer denon which will give better video connectivity options and upconvert lower quality video if you have the budget. Component is the best connection for this panel I reckon and you can input component over the vga with the right cable. Also look at the JS Technology web site for video converters that can also help you.

5. Steyarbs

Steyarbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks fella's,

I worked out that it was composite shortly after posting the message sorry about that...

Mep when you say you can input component over vga, would that be through scart or s-video, I have had a look at the JS website and their is a box on there that converts rgb (scart?) to vga is that classed as component?

sorry if that question doesn't make sense, like I said i am pretty new to all this stuff...

6. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    no mate component is usually over 3 cables, red, green and blue but you can get a cable that has the three connectors one end and a vga the other like this one http://www.av-sales.co.uk/Van-Damme-029-30-204-.htm. The scart to vga is also a good converter but you lose colour control that you have with the rgb to component (yuv) converter. They both use the VGA input but carry a different signal.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    It's just a quick tweak in the screen menu to switch between them

8. Steyarbs

Steyarbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers guys,

One more thing, I take it that RGB is still in the form of a scart lead...but with more pins? and if I wanted to go this route, I should purchase from js an additional scart extender box to attach to the rgb to component converter, plus I would also have to purchase a component card for the pw6?

is that right?

Panasonic TY42TM6YB

Also is this card worth buying if I am to add additional inputs? Or should I just purchase the bnc only card?

thanks again in advance guys...you have been most helpful....

Ok, really one lat thing...can I purchase the DVI card for the PW6 or does it not support this?

9. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    you can buy a scart extender that will sit between your sources and the converter box and then have one lead from converter to screen but if you get the RGB to yuv converter you just need the 3 rca to vga cable that I linked to above. The beter route would be to get a newer denon, you may be able to pick up a 3806 for £500 second hand, this has 3 component inputs and up converts composite and s-video to component (you could then use a js rgb to yuv converter between sky and 3806) and is a more elegant solution.

10. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    not sure about the dvi card but it will probably only do 720p or 1080i at 60hz anyway. I don't know if HD DVD will offer hd over component but if it does it will only work for non HDCP material so you may want to upgrade the screen at a later date before you go the hi def route.

11. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    ...and another thing to remember is that you can pass the PS2 through your sky+ box using the spare scart (labelled vcr)...it does allow RGB in even though it doesn't do RGB out.
    Don't confuse RGB and the red green blue component (yuv) they are different and also remember that component is video only so you will need to connect sources to amp seperately for sound using optical or coax for digital surround or red / white rca cables for stereo.

12. Steyarbs

Steyarbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again mep,

So this is what I am going to do...

Try and purchase a 3805/3806

Run Sky through the rgb to component converter into the new Denon

Run Ps2 into the Sky box, (when you said it does RGB in but not out, is this from the PS2 and not sky?)

use the composite connections on the new Denon to run the gamecube which will be converted to component.

Run the xbox 360 from the denon again using component in...

Run the dvd player through the New Denon.

If I get the 3806, this has a vga connection on the back, is this so I can attach a PC to it and run it through the Denon.

Attach the Denon to the plasma through the Van Damme component to VGA cable.

Attach all devices to the Denon for all audio using either stereo phono's or Digital.

13. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    Steve, that all sounds spot on to me and will give you a great set up (i assume you have decent speakers). I meant you can pass rgb through the sky+ box on teh vcr scart, so ps2 will connect to it via scart, though I think you can get a component output for the PS2 too. I'm not sure that the 3806 does have a vga, you may be looking at the serial port on the rear, which is probably for the engineers use.
    Are you using the 360 as dvd player for now?

14. Steyarbs

Steyarbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers mep,

So by using the Sky box to run the PS2, will this be rgb? or just normal scart?

I have an old denon dvd player and was thinking of upgrading to the Denon DVD1920S but if the xbox 360 is a decent dvd player then may just stick with that...what do you think?

yeah think your right about the 3806, it may be just a serial port.

15. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    it will be RGB yes.

Not sure its worth going for a dvd player with digital output with the PW6, but a good dvd player will be better than the 360, though the 360 is not bad at all.

16. Steyarbs

Steyarbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mep,

thanks for all your advice, it has helped me to understand a lot more in the old AV terminology and can now go ahead and set my system up correctly.

:thumbsup: you the man....

17. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    cheers mate, good luck with it all.