Advice needed for receiver choice

Scott12

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm trying to get some ideas and opinions on what av receiver to go for.
Moved in with the missus and it's only a small 2 bed semi, so over the past few months I sold off my old cumbersome mish mash of av gear as we're a bit short of space, so looking to get a slightly bigger place together in the not too distant future!

I had a denon avr 1507. With a cocktail of old paradigm centre, Panasonic fronts and wharfedale rear speakers at my old place and used to love using the system in 5ch stereo mode for all different kinds of music from rock, metal, rnb all sorts, as well as using it for 5.1 for movies with my mordaunt-short msw20 sub and to be honest I was more than happy witht the sound and quality and with no neighbors I used to be able to crank it up rather loud :)

Anyway I miss having decent stereo and surround sound so am starting to get back into av kit and seeing whats out there. I started off collecting a full set of mordaunt short avant front speakers which are the 902i and 905C centre thinking great, all timbre matched and the same colour which was a first for me! Then the other half decides the honey maple doesn't go with the other furniture in the lounge and doesn't want to redecorate as we done that not long ago with a view to getting the house on the market,

Anyway to attempt to keep her happy ive gone for a complete set of Boston Acoustics front speakers now I'm gloss black which we are both happy with in terms of looks, so I have two A25 speakers and an A225C centre speaker. I will probably sell the mordaunt shorts on but wanted to try to get some opinions on which speakers may ne better for a 50/50 mix of movies and music, and also what sort of av receiver would work best for either set of speakers as im a bit clueless after having so limited previous experience.

Ive been looking at receivers such as the Yamaha rxv673 and the pioneer vsx1122 as ID like either wireless or Ethernet connection, airplay. Dlna, 3D passthrough etc and ideally a second zone. Just want to get more up to date with hdmi and internet radio for example.
Dont have the space for 5.1 really at the moment so a good 3.1 would do for now with a view to add the extra speakers when we move to somewhere a bit bigger with larger lounge.

Would really appreciate any opinions or guidance, am not mobile following a foot operation so cant get to a richer sounds or similar to demo amps at the mo so doing as much research as I can in the meantime! Didn't demo the Boston's or mordaunts either which I know isn't ideal but they both seemed to get good reviews and I needed to buy something to cheer myself up after being in a lot of pain and bored at home!

Anyway enough waffling, anyone who's not fallen asleep after reading all that - good effort

Scott

There aren't really different "sorts" of AVRs.
There are plenty of makes and specifications though, so my recommendation is to look through the web sites of the various manufacturers and make comparisons of the important factors.

Thanks for your reply. What I mean by different 'sorts' of receivers is really more which manufactures avr sound best coupled with either the mordaunt-short or the Boston speakers. I've read posts where people say xxx brand receivers work well with xxx brand speakers for example. Just looking for opinions from people that have used these speakers with maybe different receivers and found a particular combination better than another.
I know it's subjective but just interested in other user experiences,

Scott

That's OK, and yes, there may be posters who have experience of those specific combinations of machine and speaker and will share their experiences.
My preference is for facts and numbers, as detailed in specifications.;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom