Advice needed for playing 4K mkv files

jamo609

Novice Member
I have an LG OLED55CX and 2.1 Soundbar and am currently playing 4K HDR rips from a USB 5TB hard drive. Some older files and a couple of newer files I get the unsupported audio pop up, and then the director commentary will play instead of the audio from the film, and there seems no other audio track available at this point either, even though the said mkv file has multiple audio tracks, 5.1, DTS etc. Would using a nVidia Sheild TV Pro 4K HDR Ready Media Streamer solve my issue?

If so, what apps, media players would you recommend to display the covers and description for each mkv file. Sorry for the basic questions as bit of a newbie to this. Thanks

chenks

The LG doesn’t support dts in any way at all

the shield would solve the problem but only if you connected it direct to your soundbar and not direct to the TV - assuming you wanted to play the dts audio track.

the other option is to convert the audio track to pcm first before playing it

Last edited:

jamo609

Novice Member
The LG didn’t support dts in any way at all

the shield would solve the problem but only if you connected it direct to your spinner and not direct to the TV - assuming you wanted to play the dts audio track.

Thanks for the reply, what's a spinner and what could I use to convert the audio tracks if I needed to, thanks.

chenks

See typo correction in original post

jamo609

Novice Member
Thank you, so I could connect the nvidia to my TV with hdmi and the nvidia to soundbar with Bluetooth, I've checked and soundbar supports DTS.

chenks

Thank you, so I could connect the nvidia to my TV with hdmi and the nvidia to soundbar with Bluetooth, I've checked and soundbar supports DTS.

i doubt you'd get DTS over bluetooth.
as i said, you'd need to connect the shield direct to the soundbar via HDMI in, and then soundbar to TV via HDMI out.

if your soundbar doesn't have an HDMI in the i suspect you're SOL

jamo609

Novice Member
This is good then?
20210830_113242.jpg

chenks

yes, connect the shield to HDMI in, connect the TV to HDMI out.
enable eARC on both the soundbar and the TV.

also, make sure you have a setting enabled on the soundbar that will be called something like "enhanced HDMI" or "deep colour mode" or similar.

jamo609

Novice Member
Just been checking my soundbar (LG SL5Y Bluetooth Sound Bar with DTS: Virtual X) and can't see those settings, also just found it says no HDR support, which might be a stopper?

chenks

Just been checking my soundbar (LG SL5Y Bluetooth Sound Bar with DTS: Virtual X) and can't see those settings, also just found it says no HDR support, which might be a stopper?

might be a show stopper for you, but the TV is also a show stopper.

so you have 2 options.
1) play the content with DTS audio but no HDR passthru.
2) play the content with HDR with no DTS support

of course there is secret option 3 - get a better soundbar. with it being 2.1 it's pointless feeding it DTS audio anyway.

jamo609

Novice Member
Is there any recommendations to just encode the audio and keep the video as it is?

I looked at handbrake, but I think that encodes the video and the audio.

chenks

No but then the OP is talking about using 4K HDR rips

and you can rip with the DV layer intact, which the shield (along with plex can play).
from the specs it's also very vague if it supports Atmos or not

John7

OP, you don't need a shield. You could just re-encode the problem video file(s) using HandBrake. You can set it to output the audio in a different format to the original in the audio settings tab.

The only "problem" with this is that the video will be re-encoded as well, which adds to the time taken to encode the file.

You can easily check what audio files are embeded in the file by downloading the free app "MediaInfo". Once downloaded onto your computer, right click on a video file and select mediainfo. You can the see all the attributes of the file, including the various audio streams.

Last edited:

oneman

and you can rip with the DV layer intact, which the shield (along with plex can play).
from the specs it's also very vague if it supports Atmos or not
No Atmos support, again does OP care. We will have to wait for their reply.

chenks

No Atmos support, again does OP care. We will have to wait for their reply.

4k BR rips are almost always going to have either an Atmos or DTS:X audio track, which the Mi isn't capable of playing?

as you said, lets see if the OP cares, but the Mi would be a pretty pointless device for playing 4k BR rips considering it doesn't support a lot of the features from such a rip.

you get what you pay for.

chopples

Distinguished Member
Original Bluray disks almost always have an additional soundtrack with either a lossy DD or stereo soundtrack so perhaps the easiest solution is to just retain these soundtracks during the ripping process?

Last edited by a moderator:

jamo609

Novice Member
Thanks everyone for all the advice. At the moment I am just going to go for the cheapest and easiest option by encoding just the audio in the mkv rips without having to re-encode the video as well, I'd like to keep the 4k video as it is.

I looked at Handbrake but it re-encodes the video aswell as part of the process.

chenks

Thanks everyone for all the advice. At the moment I am just going to go for the cheapest and easiest option by encoding just the audio in the mkv rips without having to re-encode the video as well, I'd like to keep the 4k video as it is.

I looked at Handbrake but it re-encodes the video aswell as part of the process.

simply rip it again from the BRDISC and include the lossy audio formats.
of course, your soundbar is only 2.1, so it anything other than stereo audio track is pointless anyway.

chopples

Distinguished Member

Mac or Windows?

Subler on Mac will do this and is very easy to use, windows you are probably looking at ffmpeg, or one of the gui front ends you can get for it.

I am surprised handbrake cannot do this though as I think it uses ffmpeg as its encoder? You sure there isn't an option to remux the video?

bingodisco

I use my Panasonic UHD Blu-Ray player for playing back mkv and various other formats of video files, from a USB drive connected to it. It doesn't give the cover art for each file but does decode all audio formats perfectly and allows alternate audio streams to be selected. It also has two HDMI outputs, one dedicated to audio only which goes to my amp and the other direct to the TV. This means all HDR formats are displayed correctly without having to pass through the amp.
It works well for me - never had any trouble with it.

John7

Handbrake will allow you to convert the audio format to one that is compatible. I cannot see an option to "pass through" the video file untouched though. So the video will be re-encoded during the process.

If the original file has multiple audio tracks, its possible to run the file through Make MKV and select only the audio track(s) required. The file will then be output with the original video and selected audio track(s).

A possible soultion (albeit long-winded method) would be to convert the original file audio and video in Handbrake. Then load the original file into MKVToolNix. Add the remuxed video file as a "new source file to the current multiplex settings". Then de-select the remuxed file video stream and the original file audio stream. The original video and new compatible audio will be remuxed into a new file with the original video.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

LG rumoured to release 97-inch OLED TV in 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray (UK) for Halloween 2021
  • By Mark Costello
  • Published
AVForums Movies Podcast: 20th October 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
PSB announces M4U 8 MKII wireless headphone