Advice needed for panel system components

dickst3

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My parents are interested in having a panel system similar to my own PWD7. Their requirements are:

1. 36" screen (current CRT size)!!
2. DVD player.
3. Easy to record programmes (they have Sky so it needs to be able to record a channel different to the one being watched).
4. They currently have no sound for a panel.
5. Budget £1,250 to £1,500

I am thinking along the lines of:

1. The latest gen 42" Panny panel (£750 inc?). £100 for a mount.
2. A cheap home cinema kit for sound? Sony DAV-DZ111 £200 (includes a DVD player)
3. JS RGB to VGA convertor. £120
4. For recording??? PVR, DVD recorder, Sky+.........

I am stuck on the recording. It MUST be easy. I am swayed by Sky+ however that involves a subscription (?) and our Sky+ installer told us the units are unrealiable?

I would appreciate your suggestions and advice.

Rich

I really can not see the need for a RGB to VGA converter for the life of me, save £120 and get a quality Scart cable, converting from one format to another CANNOT improve the picture quality, just convert it, you cannot get more out than you put in.
As for the Sony all-in-one that is a waste of space, it does not even have an optical input for DVD, PVR, SKY+ or HD. I would suggest you look at a starter system which for one would sound far better and have the added luxury of being able to connect other 5.1 inputs.
http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/542070/art/yamaha/av-3101-home-cinema-syste.html no need for a DVD player if you get a DVDR, else get http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/572304/art/samsung/dvd-1080p7-dvd-player.html with its 1080p output.
But as you have saved £120, just add £60 more and get http://www.play.com/Electronics/Ele...1-HD-DVD-Player/Product.html?searchtype=genre or upgrade the AV system to one with HDMI switching
http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/542109/art/yamaha/av-4101-home-cinema-syste.html

Andy

Sorry, I thought the panel didn't have scart?

How would you record from Sky? (need to be able to record/watch at the same time alternative channels). Does DVDR do this?

Thanks

Rich

If you need to continue supporting Scart you will require a TH-42PX700WALL.
Other weakness is that there is only 2 HDMI inputs on the TH-42PX700WALL, three seems the norm these days.
If I was to purchase a Plasma then I would go for the TH-42PZ700WALL, 1080p, 3x HDMI, Scarts and a whole lot of other inputs.
Also it has full 1080 pixel screen. Now that is future proofing.
Sorry I do not follow the costs of the above, but I would at least get the PX700 as a basic minimum.

Andy

How would you record from Sky? (need to be able to record/watch at the same time alternative channels). Does DVDR do this?

Thanks

Rich

Best option for recording Sky is to get Sky+. It does not cost any more than your existing subscription and you can pick it up for about £99 from Sky with a 1 year guarantee or if you could pick up a used box for about £50 off the Internet.

Not sure why you were told they were unreliable I've had mine for almost 3 years and never had a problem. It's also dead simple to use, far easier than any VCR and it will change the way you watch TV...it really is a excellent piece of technology that many of us take for granted. If you have a normal Sky sub then there's no excuse for not getting Sky+ ... bugger...do I sound like a Sky Salesman...sorry never meant to.

I may have read this wrongly, but when you say "panel" are you thinking of a TH42PH10? If so, you can supply Sky to the stock s-video input and add either an RGB Scart board or an HDMI board depending on the DVD player - either of which would be cheaper (and better) than the converter you're thinking of.

On the recording front - do they actually record alot of Sky specific channels? If not, I'd consider a dual tuner Freeview PVR such as the Topfield TF5800 or the Humax 9200-T. Both of which, once set-up, are dead easy to use.

I may have read this wrongly, but when you say "panel" are you thinking of a TH42PH10? If so, you can supply Sky to the stock s-video input and add either an RGB Scart board or an HDMI board depending on the DVD player - either of which would be cheaper (and better) than the converter you're thinking of.

Yes, panel only - what's the prefered method for connection? Thanks

Phil, thanks, I think SKY+ is the way to go.

Yes, panel only - what's the prefered method for connection?.

Well...if you get a DVD player with an HDMI output and get the HDMI board for it then you'll that might be a more cost-effective approach in the long-run, and covers you for an HD source via HDMI in the future. If not, a component board for the DVD player would probably be best.

Someone else will have to comment on Sky+ as I don't have it, but RGB Scart and component are always preferable to S-Video, it's just that the panel comes with S-Video as standard.

If you need to continue supporting Scart you will require a TH-42PX700WALL.

Andy, they have SKY so dont need a TV just a panel.

If they get SKY+ for recording i assume the setup will be similar to mine? DVD into SKY+ box into JS RGB to VGA convertor into panel?

If so, you can supply Sky to the stock s-video input

Don't do this...

An s-video signal is just about the worst ( just slightly above composite) signal you can deliver to a plasma screen ( or any display for that matter). The original poster is correct about the best picture you can get from a standard plus sky box is via RGB SCART. So you can either run a SCART and buy a board or use a converter and use the supplied VGA. A lot of people on the forums have used the converter mentioned and have got excellent picture quality from it.

I agree with Jon above though, if you want to get a panel I'd get a HDMI input board as well to future proof yourself.

I really can not see the need for a RGB to VGA converter for the life of me, save £120 and get a quality Scart cable, converting from one format to another CANNOT improve the picture quality, just convert it, you cannot get more out than you put in.

But then he would need a Scart blade and that will cost £100 plus. In order to retain control over colour I would recommend a JS Tech RGB-Component box. Same cost as RGB-VGA but with control over colour.

I firmly believe the picture will be cleaner (i.e. less noise) using a JS Tech box together with a quality RGB-only Scart from Sky+ and a quality Component-VGA cable to the screen from the JS box.

The pictures my PH9 show are as good as they can be with SD. They could probably be further improved with an external scaler but the cost of those is prohibitive. £900 upwards for a decent one. A ISF calibration would bring the best out of the PH10.

An s-video signal is just about the worst ( just slightly above composite) signal you can deliver to a plasma screen ( or any display for that matter). The original poster is correct about the best picture you can get from a standard plus sky box is via RGB SCART. So you can either run a SCART and buy a board or use a converter and use the supplied VGA. A lot of people on the forums have used the converter mentioned and have got excellent picture quality from it.
Sorry to be so brutal, but this is utter twaddle, fro someone who has obviously not compared s-video to RGB scart in a real life situation. Sky+ looks fine to 99% of people via s-video, the remaining 1% are almost always pleased with either of the JS units. It SHOULD not be necessary to retain control of RGB, but that's not always the case, so the YUV unit is preferred by some. The s-video route is obvously cheaper, if your mum and dad go to a proper installer, he might well give them the opportunity to choose their own connection method 'live' so to speak. Sky+ will offer them the best value, as any other recording mechanism will not record a sky channel they are not already watching, so as they pay the sub already, they might as well get the most out of it. A PH10 would be an excellent choice, add an HDMI board for future proofing, and hopefully connecting their surround system DVD part.

OK, so add the HDMI board but only for future use?

(my setup uses the RGB to VGA and its great)

so the set up is:

1. TH42PH10 panel
2. SKY+
3. DVD player
4. Surround sound
5. JS RGB to VGA convertor

I do not have SKY+ or surround (stereo instead) so I am not 100% sure about the connections required, please advise!?

Thanks and much appreciated.

*edit* I have posted in the power buy thread......

You just use an optical connection from both Sky+ and DVD player to the amp, very simple.

If you get the one that switches HDMI, then you can plug a DVD player into it (that will carry both picture and sound so no need for optical then), then HDMI out to the panel, allowing other HDMI sources to be connected.

You just use an optical connection from both Sky+ and DVD player to the amp, very simple.

If you get the one that switches HDMI, then you can plug a DVD player into it (that will carry both picture and sound so no need for optical then), then HDMI out to the panel, allowing other HDMI sources to be connected.

So surround sound amp with HDMI? If DVD player connects into it, where are other sources (SKY+) connected, in the amp also?

ok, I think I am getting the hang of the tech terms now. We have a (fairly new) PS2 and that has a HDMI to scart lead for my plasma. Therefore if we get an amp with multiple HDMI inputs we can plug the PS2 in?

Like this

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/542109/art/yamaha/av-4101-home-cinema-syste.html

It only has two inputs, so do we need a switch box for additional items (I have a scart one in my setup)? Then this starts to get more expensive!

Does it matter that they are not watching HD material?

Thanks for all the advice, we are slowly getting an understanding!

Rich

(my setup uses the RGB to VGA and its great)

If you're happy that you won't have control over colour with a PH10 then by all means use the RGB-VGA box. I would still recommend the RGB-YUV alternative.

Other weakness is that there is only 2 HDMI inputs on the TH-42PX700WALL,

I think you meant the TH-42PX70WALL and not the TH-42PX700WALL.

The TH-42PX700WALL is the wall mounted version of the 42 inch PX700 PED.

That tv has more connections than most tvs including 3 scarts and 3 HDMIs to name a few things.

Although it only has 720 HD and not 1080 HD for what your getting your still getting a great tv.

I am now desperate for connection advice. I thought we had it sorted but now they want to use a stereo source for sound.

1. 42" Panny panel only.
2. DVD player.
3. SKy+
4. Stereo system.
5. Occasional use of a PS2 (I have mine on a scart controller)

How do I connect this together? Same way as mine? Or if we fit a HDMI board to the panel can we use that instead of VGA? We want to avoid loads of cables going to panel.

So is it possible to configure using HDMI cables and fit a home cinema kit into the equation later?

Are we better off forgetting about HDMI and use the same setup as mine? Not sure how surround sound would work from that.........

Sorry for all the questions.

Rich

I am now desperate for connection advice. I thought we had it sorted but now they want to use a stereo source for sound.

1. 42" Panny panel only.
2. DVD player.
3. SKy+
4. Stereo system.
5. Occasional use of a PS2 (I have mine on a scart controller)

How do I connect this together? Same way as mine? Or if we fit a HDMI board to the panel can we use that instead of VGA? We want to avoid loads of cables going to panel.

So is it possible to configure using HDMI cables and fit a home cinema kit into the equation later?

Are we better off forgetting about HDMI and use the same setup as mine? Not sure how surround sound would work from that.........

Sorry for all the questions.

Rich

Hi Rich,

Let's separate sound and video signals for starters. All sound will need to go to the hi-fi amp as the PH series have no speakers and I'm guessing you have no plans to buy any.

If the amp has optical input you can feed Sky+ to that. If it hasn't then analogue phono cables will suffice. Run those to a suitable input. Tuner should do.

Next DVD sound. It's likely it will have optical out so again, if you have another optical in on the amp feed it to that. If you don't then use phono cables to a suitable analogue input.

Now video. Sky can go to the plasma via one of three ways...

1) Buy a Scart blade (£100) and run a decent quality Scart from Sky box. OR
2) Buy a JS Tech RGB-YUV and run Scart from Sky to it and then a Compnent-VGA cable to plasma. That way you use the supplied VGA input which is high quality.
3) If a Scart-VGA cable exists (not sure) you could go that route but I'm in unknown territory here.

If you have a HDMI output on the DVD player buy a HDMI blade (£100) and feed it direct to the screen. Best possible PQ.

You will need to switch sound sources using the amp and screen sources using the plasma remote. A bit messy but a programmable remote like a Philips Pronto is ultimately easier but requires skill setting it up.

As for the PS2 using Scart. Well if you feed Sky to the plasma via scart you could use a Scart controller to accept two scart inputs with a single scart to the screen. Two Scart blades on the plasma would be expensive and not justifiable for occasional use.

Of course a AV amp would be an ideal solution especially one that accepts component and/or HDMI. You could then feed everything into that (I'm not sure about PS2 outputs) with a single component cable to the plasma. The downside of that is you couldn't adjust picture settings for each source. And of course there is the additional expense of a AV amp.

Hope that helps. It's not easy as you can see.

What is this stereo system?

Short term you might be able to just plug the stereo output from Sky and the DVD player into that, using phonos, if it has enough inputs. So you have one set of speakers for everything. Depends where they are, if they don't straddle the TV position and can't be moved, that wouldn't be too good.

If you're going to get a surround amp, then my guess is 90% of what the stereo does will be redundant (DVD can cover CDs, radio from Sky) so they could just sell it

Of course, if it's some fantastic hifi stereo setup and they're really into music, you won't be able to get to that sort of quality using even a decent surround amp. So it really depends what it is.

Thanks guys, this technical stuff is way over my head!

More questions for my parents now........

Yes, that's exactly what happened with our stereo system, once hooked up to a DVD player and SKY all apart from the amp became redundant!

Much appreciated.

Rich

We're getting there slowly.

We have pretty much decided on the Yahama AV61 for sound (they changed their minds about the stereo!) sooooo:

Connections.

The AV61 has 3 component in/1 out. Can we go DVD to SKY+ via scart, to a RGB to component (J S Tech) convertor, then to the AV61 via component, and then to the panel via component?

Perhaps the DVD to AV61 via component directly - is there any advantage doing this?

Pros/cons?

We would prefer one cable to the panel but open to opinions!

Thanks for all the help/advice. Its a minefield!

Rich

We're getting there slowly.

We have pretty much decided on the Yahama AV61 for sound (they changed their minds about the stereo!) sooooo:

Connections.

The AV61 has 3 component in/1 out. Can we go DVD to SKY+ via scart, to a RGB to component (J S Tech) convertor, then to the AV61 via component, and then to the panel via component?
Yes.
Perhaps the DVD to AV61 via component directly - is there any advantage doing this?
Better if you can do that. [just re-read and edited this]

Thanks, I think that's what we'll do.

Rich

Thanks for all the help the system is up and running great apart from the DVD.

There is no signal from the DVD. As there is no component we have run it via scart into the SKY+ box. There is only scart and video on the DVD player. For sound there is digital out via optical and coax - I think thats right.

Will this work via scart into the SKY+ box? Do we need to change the settings in the SKY+ box or DVD player? Everything seems to be set to RGB?

Any info much appreciated.

Rich

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom