1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

advice needed for optical cables

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by gil2, May 8, 2005.

1. gil2

gil2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    guys i need to connect my sky+box and dvd to my amp , there approx 5 mtrs apart , between the amp and under telly boxs is a fireplace made from plaster , so i cant chase into the walls , i need to be able to hide the cables under the carpet running alongside the gripper , i cant go under the floor as i have concrete floors

is there anything made thats thin enough to be able to hide under the carpet against the gripper and go around corners like the fire hearth

2. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    you again!

most optical cables are thinner than carpet gripper i think, but they don't bend well as its basically glass inside. You'd have to cut corners a bit, probably by about an inch from the corner, but this shouldn't be a major problem, and i would think the cable would come to about the same thickness as the gripper so it might work quite well.

something like this should be fine:
    http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/TS004.html

3. gil2

gil2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hellooo chedmaster my friend :hiya:

as ever , you are most kind with your help , thanks for that , i must admit i thought tos was as thick as a quality analogue lead , odviously not

i`m getting there m8 with my setup , i bought the amp you advised , and shoe horned it into my seperates cabinet , it was fine for width but the back had to be cut out completely , tbh it wanted doing anyway , with the other kit in there heat was an issue

i have had a terrible time though with selecting which speakers to get , Mrs Gil likes the upright tube style like the mission FS1 6.1`s but after reading around alot of people have had various issues with them which has put me and her off them somewhat , i may well go and see jake with the Cantons CD1 package , he`s local to me , so thats a possibility , realy i wana take the Mrs so she can see the CD 100`s , there upright but more expensive , i`m hoping if she see`s em she will be swayed towards em , of course thats if its ok with jake , not sure yet

i have used some cat5 for cabling on my rear temporary speakers which are RCF studio speakers and my mission m73`s are being pressed into front duty at the mo with qed silver aniversary hooking them in

but realy i want the same all round , it sounds ok`ish at the mo , but with the 73`s being where they are the sound is kinda wrong

anyway i`m dribbling on as usual , cheers for your help m8 :smashin: