1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed for newbie

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by honeydew, May 3, 2005.

1. honeydew

honeydew
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I am going to build a new MCE box from my old PC bits as I now use my work laptop more and more. I have the following gear:

AMD 3000+ XP
    1.5Gb RAM DDR400
    Geforce 5600 128Mb graphics card
    Maxtor 160gb HDD
    Near silent Zalman PSU from quietpc 350W
    Quietpc CPU & case fan

Would this spec be OK?

I want to add a dual TV freeview card and nice new case. Can anyone help recommend a freeview card (I am guessing the Blackgold Dual DVB-T card).

As I am a bit of a newb can someone confirm what connectors would be needed to pipe the output to a new Toshiba LCD TV (the new 58 models when they come out) as the cables need to be built into the wall. Do I need something direct from the TV card or would it be better through the Geforce card only (i.e. svideo or DVI etc)? Sorry for the dumb questions but am unsure and want to get it right :confused:

Thanks
    rekall

2. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Output direct from your graphics card.
    If your LCD supports DVI then that's the besway to go, failing that, VGA or Component then s-Video.

Freeview cardwise, then blackgold or the sweetspot MCE; although you should note that although both these cards offer s-Video in, you cannot use this feature under the MCE interface.

Casewise depends on where it's going to go and how big (or small) it needs to be.

My personal favourite is the Silverstone LC11 - which is ideal in a living room setup - this only accepts mAXT motherboards though

3. honeydew

honeydew
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great thanks.

Would you say the recorded and TV content using MCE2005 is as good as the broadcasted TV content or is there degradation? I currently have a Freeview DVR (Thomson DHD4000) and cant notice any difference between recorded and normal TV. I would like to continue the Status Quo. Cheers.

4. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The thing with Freeview it that it is trasnmitted in a digital format; and it is exactly that which gets saved to your HDD, so the quality will be 'as broadcast'
    This differs from analogue TV which need to be encoded before being stored - it's the encoding process that causes degredation...(how much depends on your encoder and how it's set up)