1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice Needed For New Projector - Connecting up 5 devices

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by WizRider, Sep 29, 2004.

1. WizRider

WizRider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello all. My first post is going to be a cry for help so apologies for that in advance.

I'm in the process of eyeing up a projector for the living room. Its an Infocus 4805 and should be the mutts nutts.

Only thing is, I have a living room that is shaped such that my TV cabinet won't be close to the projector. So now I need to get the output from a PS2, an Xbox, a Gamecube, a high-end DVD Recorder and a Sky box onto the thing from about 5 metres away!

I've been told that in order to get the most from my DVD recorder that I should connect a single component output (cable ending in a red, a green and a blue phono plug I believe) to the component input of the projector. Sounds good so far.

2 of the consoles (the Xbox and Gamecube) and the sky box currently output an RGB signal through a scart socket. These three scart connections currently go into the Argos 3-in-1-out switch box. The PS2 currently has an S-Video lead coming out of it.

Using the 2 scart sockets on my current TV and the S-Video input I can have all those devices plugged in once and choose between them fairly easily. However the guy in the shop I was considering buying the projector from stated categorically that video switch boxes are no good as the signal degrades too much (can't say I've seen it on my Argos switcher and my 32" TV though). He recommended that I get an AV amp (at extra cost) and use the video connectivity of that rather than a scart switcher.

The question is: If you had a new projector and all these bits of kit, how would you wire it up best? Bear in mind that I want each of the 5 devices to have an audio output into my amp (currently my xbox uses optical, DVD recorder uses coaxial, and the others use stereo) and I know that some console cables don't split the audio from the video etc. etc.

Sorry for the long post, but any help would be good - I just want to get the most out of the projector really.

Cheers...

2. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    Without an AV amp how are you going to get the full 5.1 sound?

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    Your dealer is on the right track. The neat way to do all this is to use an AV amplifier to give you true DD or DTS surround sound (from suitably encoded DVDs) and DPL (etc) from stereo movie/TV sources. And such an amp will provide for video switching too. Some higher-end models will also upconvert from Composite and SVideo into component (which means that you then have just a component cable running from the rest of your hardware, to the PJ.

Signal degradation on any half-decent AV amp will be insignificant/undetectable/non-existent.

Choose one with lots and lots of inputs. I can recommend Denon as a brand, but there are also many other good choices.

4. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    Denon would be my choice too, but have a look arround