• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Advice needed for MP3 Home wireless system..

G

gp2229

I want to set up an unobtrusive sound system which streams my MP3s from a central "server" PC to different rooms using ceiling mounted speakers.

I have used Netgear MP101 streamer to date to stream the sound to an existing hifi system and have the wireless network already in place.

Sound quality is not too critical I am looking for background and occasional use really, no surround sound or audiophile standard required.

I have looked at Sonos solutions which look good but expensive.

Has anyone got any experience here that they would be willing to share?

I am fitting downlighting in the ceiling in the main room so no big deal to fit a couple of high quality ceiling speakers but not sure where to wire them to and where to locate a Sonos control unit to which speakers would attach and which would need power source. Would rather not have to cut wire into the walls, maybe I could have the controller in the room above and the wireless control panel would access it from there?

Any experiences or advice appreciated........

stevos

Distinguished Member
I currently use a combination of a linkstation running slimserver and squeezeboxes either connected directly to my hifi or utilising computer style powered speakers. Works very well, and since i have used lossless codec also sounds very good through my hifi.

stevos

Distinguished Member
p.s. probably better to redirect this question to the mp3 section as you are more likely to get a response.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom