1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed for lcd with PC (vga or s-video only)

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by elkabyle, Oct 22, 2005.

1. elkabyle

elkabyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd like to get an lcd tv with either VGA or S-Video input. This is to plug my laptop.
    I am not sure about the S-Video option, will it be good enough?
    I am not interested in HD TV programs. I will only watch SD TV, DVD, and Divx from my laptop.
    Please help me find the right TV, I've been looking for ages and can't seem to find the right one.
    I thought of the Sharp P50 series, since it's cheap and good for SD feeds apparently, but I'm not sure it has either s-video or VGA input.

2. dkboy22

dkboy22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sharp P50 has S-Video but not VGA input. Fantastic SD PQ though.

3. elkabyle

elkabyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will the output from the laptop' s-video to the Sharp will give a good quality image, considering the resolution on my laptop is set at 1280x800 and the sharp is only 960x540. Will image quality still be ok though even if the sharp scales the signal down?

4. Derek22

Derek22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    when connecting a pc to a screen I would want to stay away from any scaling as much as possible and stick with native resolution. Especially if you are using for text, ie browsing or owt like that.

Also having tried Svideo to a crt TV, ok not the same as an lcd, again I would stay away from that and stick with VGA, or Dsub what ever you want to call it, as a minimum with DVI being a slight step up in quality if available. Through svideo the maximum pc resolution I could get that was usable was 800*600 and still had to have large fonts switched on. Just makes the working area so small.

So I would recommend a panel that supports native via PC port and at least vga, if you are planning on using for text.