Advice needed for laptop. Mainly for football manager and media

tony kop77

I don’t have a desktop pc and my MacBook is over 10 years old and stopped working could be battery but specs won’t be good now days. I used to own an ASUS and Acer but they only lasted around 15 months which is why I went to MacBook.

I want to spend around £1000 mainly for football manager but I want to play many leagues and largest database etc so will need half decent ram and cpu. I have a series x so might even play horizon 5 on it when away from home. I know I can play football manager on series x but it’s missing a few features and nice to play the game while watching tv

I had a look at overclockers and seen a few that look good

Medion Erazer Defender P10 NVIDIA RTX 3060, 16GB, 17.3" 144Hz FHD, Intel i7-10750H Gaming Laptop | OcUK that’s an i7 16GB ram 17” screen which is nice for football manager and watching sky or Netflix on the device

MSI Katana GF76 NVIDIA RTX 3050, 16GB, 17.3" FHD 144Hz, Intel i7-11800H Gaming Laptop | OcUK looks good but only 1 year warranty however the brand is better I imagine

Medion Erazer Defender P10 NVIDIA RTX 3060, 16GB, 17.3" 144Hz FHD, Intel i7-10750H Gaming Laptop | OcUK but more than I wanted to spend

Gigabyte G5 NVIDIA RTX 3050 Ti, 16GB, 15.6" 144Hz, i5-11400H Gaming Laptop | OcUK looks good value for £850

Gigabyte G5 NVIDIA RTX 3060, 16GB, 15.6" 144Hz, i5-10500H Gaming Laptop | OcUK that seems less value as costs more and can’t see why.

another that looks good value Amazon product
I know they are overkill for football manager but want to play many leagues big database and possibly watch Netflix and sky and maybe some pc strategy games in the future and some Xbox game pass games. I just wanted advice from you guys really

Last edited:

next010

Distinguished Member
Its best to search for product reviews and check for any potential issues, the MSI for example didnt seem do to well in some reviews.

The Gigabyte G5 with the 3050 seems decent enough, the cheaper model has faster CPU than higher price model which has better GPU but for strategy games at 1080p I think the 3050 should be fine. For game pass stuff dont dial it up to max settings, keep it on normal if you want high frame rates to make use of the 144Hz display.

The Medion is more of the European brand you can find review here in Dutch the P10, browser can auto translate.

Last edited:

tony kop77

Its best to search for product reviews and check for any potential issues, the MSI for example didnt seem do to well in some reviews.

The Gigabyte G5 with the 3050 seems decent enough, the cheaper model has faster CPU than higher price model which has better GPU but for strategy games at 1080p I think the 3050 should be fine. For game pass stuff dont dial it up to max settings, keep it on normal if you want high frame rates to make use of the 144Hz display.

The Medion is more of the European brand you can find review here in Dutch the P10, browser can auto translate.
Thank you. If just playing football manager, watching sky and Netflix would I get away with onboard graphics card? Laptops don’t have good cooling system so not sure how they they last. Do I need 16gb ram if I want to play most of the leagues?

next010

Distinguished Member
Thank you. If just playing football manager, watching sky and Netflix would I get away with onboard graphics card? Laptops don’t have good cooling system so not sure how they they last. Do I need 16gb ram if I want to play most of the leagues?

For just football manager and streaming yes a laptop with integrated GPU should suffice, at least from what I could see on comments, Football manager is quite a low impact 3D game with very low requirements.

I don't play FM but it seems 16GB is recommended for large data pools and RAM is typically upgradeable if you want to go higher than that, check the manual for the laptop you intend to buy and see if its possible.

There is GeForce Now as a streaming game service you can still use to play games or Xbox has its own cloud game service now on PC as well but not everything will be available on those services.

tony kop77

For just football manager and streaming yes a laptop with integrated GPU should suffice, at least from what I could see on comments, Football manager is quite a low impact 3D game with very low requirements.

I don't play FM but it seems 16GB is recommended for large data pools and RAM is typically upgradeable if you want to go higher than that, check the manual for the laptop you intend to buy and see if its possible.

There is GeForce Now as a streaming game service you can still use to play games or Xbox has its own cloud game service now on PC as well but not everything will be available on those services.

thank you for your help. I think I will wait for Black Friday and see what deals are about. I’m a bit worried spending so much on a laptop as I have owned two in the past which was about 20 years ago must admit but they only lasted 15 months each. I think I had an ASUS and an Acer

oneman

thank you for your help. I think I will wait for Black Friday and see what deals are about. I’m a bit worried spending so much on a laptop as I have owned two in the past which was about 20 years ago must admit but they only lasted 15 months each. I think I had an ASUS and an Acer
Have a look at Lenovo. Good built quality and decent prices.

tony kop77

Have a look at Lenovo. Good built quality and decent prices.
Thank you I hadn't heard of them until few weeks ago. I thought msi laptops and gigabyte were the best ones unless want to spend 2k or more

tony kop77

Going to order a laptop on Monday. I notice can get 2k and dolby vision for around £1500 would I notice it on a 15' screen though? Also if paying that much for a screen of that quality the components might not be as good or slower than some other models that price.
I was thinking of going for gigabyte g7 or the Asus ROG strix G15

Carbon 60

Hi Tony,

You should notice better sharpness and more colour depth on a 15" laptop with 2K (1440p) but a really good 1080p IPS panel maybe less of a difference. A 17" IPS panel laptop probably would be a better choice for a noticeable difference. Your best bet would be to compare your choices side-by-side playing exactly the same content, although that may be difficult (if not impossible) to set up.

Presumably you are using the 3D match engine which is why you want dedicated graphics.

Here's 7 Ryzen 5 5600H gaming laptops from Box for you to consider between £900-1050 which should do everything you want. If there's any you like you may find the same model cheaper elsewhere. You can check the system specs for how well FM21 will perform at Game Debate.

Comparison of 1080p vs 1440p vs 2160p on YouTube.

tony kop77

tony kop77

Hi Tony,

You should notice better sharpness and more colour depth on a 15" laptop with 2K (1440p) but a really good 1080p IPS panel maybe less of a difference. A 17" IPS panel laptop probably would be a better choice for a noticeable difference. Your best bet would be to compare your choices side-by-side playing exactly the same content, although that may be difficult (if not impossible) to set up.

Presumably you are using the 3D match engine which is why you want dedicated graphics.

Here's 7 Ryzen 5 5600H gaming laptops from Box for you to consider between £900-1050 which should do everything you want. If there's any you like you may find the same model cheaper elsewhere. You can check the system specs for how well FM21 will perform at Game Debate.

Comparison of 1080p vs 1440p vs 2160p on YouTube.
Thank you I will have a look at comparison etc when I get home after work. Thanks again

tony kop77

Carbon 60

Both the RTX 3060 & 3070 are considerable overkill for FM22, you're just wasting money for no reward. The older RTX 2060 should give you 200+ FPS both for 2K and 1080p and around 130 FPS on QHD so you don't need the extra oomph. Also for info the 3060 wasn't really designed to support QHD.

A QHD 2160p screen consumes more system resources than 2K which consumes more resources than 1080p, so the higher the resolution the hotter the laptop will run, meaning the fans will come on more often too.

If you have so much money it's burning a hole in your pocket then spend £1400-1500 but realistically you could buy a cheaper laptop for FM 2022 and very probably not notice the difference.

This Lenovo Legion 5 17 currently on offer for £1000 with a FHD 144Hz IPS screen, 16GB 3200MHz RAM, RTX 2060 6GB, 512GB M.2 SSD and the incredibly fast Ryzen 7 4800H I think you should seriously consider instead: Lenovo Legion 5 17 | Powerful 17.3” gaming laptop | Lenovo UK.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom