advice needed for install start up business

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by gforce1, Mar 7, 2013.

1. gforce1

gforce1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi im a new member as of today. Im hoping to be able to get some advice from you guys in the know if possible.

I have 8yrs experience in bench testing, repairing and configuring complex cctv systems. Ive also worked installing small cctv systems, sky /astra satellites and also a few years as a bt telephone engineer so I have enough experience to go it alone as im sick of being laid off which im expecting to happen again soon.

Im planning to start working for myself in about 3 months. I intend to do small cctv systems, ariels/various satellites, end user telecoms, broadband ect and once im the swing of things I intend to train up in other areas too.

I do have some good contacts in the security industry that could do any work that I wasn’t ready to take on by myself including large cctv systems, intruder alarms, door access ect ect as I intend to train up alarms eventually

I will be doing at least the cai basic ariel installer course before I start.

Im really after some answers or advice to some questions I have please?

1: If when ive got my website live, with google ranking (worth the money)? I have around £1000 to potentially spend on some form of advertising and marketing, what do you guys think would be the most effective way to invest the money?

2: Can anybody suggest good ways to drum up business? I have some plans already but I need this business to work for me so I’d love to hear your views on this.

Cheers guys :)

2. gforce1

gforce1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have another question, can somebody tell me why the add box is covering my post? thanks

3. alabomb

alabomb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I can't see an ad box, looks fine to me.

I've no experience in starting my own business but I would definitely say having your own website is an absolute must. There are loads of companies that offer off the shelf sites for minimal cost and input.

Ultimately most of your business will probably come by word of mouth so I would focus on introductions and make sure you ask ever customer to recommend to at least one of their friends etc. get some genuine testimonials and examples of installs on your website etc

I'm sure there are lots of other options as well. Where abouts are you based?

4. gforce1

gforce1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im based in the east midlands. ive already found a web design and hosting company and i have about 50% of the content ready. ive priced up everything but could do with some advice from people who have experience in starting up and running their own similar installation business

thanks for your input mate

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  5. shortyav

shortyav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    One thing I would add is that in this climate it's not easy 10 years ago was a great time to be getting involved but now it's tough, not impossible but tough. Not sure if its a global thing but in my bubble jobs are a bit harder to win generally via word of mouth and also the money available is less than previous years. I'm not going to insult your intelligence by saying its not easy money, but it may be harder to earn money than you anticipate. However if you really, really desire something it can be achieved and good luck. Regards Shorty.

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,495
    ‘If when ive got my website live, with google ranking (worth the money)?’ – no chance, don’t waste a penny on it unless you have an unlimited budget.

Website - all you require is a single page with your contact details. Don’t waste any money on a website. There are lots of Free options and you can grab a logo designer on the likes of Fiverr for $5.

$50 on Fiverr will get you a Logo, Favicon plus Hi-res for print.

Facebook - have a link to your Facebook Business Page and use that for current content and leave the Webpage alone and get busy on FB creating links to relevant local Groups and Pages.

‘the most effective way to invest the money?’ – not on ‘advertising’, £1k buys you very little and will disappear in a flash.

Your business will come via word of mouth not Google – get out there and talk to folk who will potentially hire you.

Think local not global.

Joe