1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed for HOTBIRD6 installation equipment...

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by shyboy, Apr 12, 2005.

1. shyboy

shyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi All,

I have been trying to arrange an installer to come round my house and install a dish and receiver which can link to Hotbird6. Unfortunately, the ones who want around the £250 mark never return my calls, and all the others want £500+

So, I decided to give it a go myself, but wanted some advice on what I need with respect to hardware.

This is the information I have already:

The satellite is Hotbird6
    It is preferable to go for 80cm dish
    The receiver needs to have something called an Embedded Viaccess 2.5 slot

I only want to receive one Israeli channel (news, basketball and football is transmitted live). I have already ordered the card for it and should receive it within the next few days.

Can someone recommend me a cheap receiver (don’t need anything fancy as it will literally only be for this one channel), a dish and any other bits that I need to order at the same time?
    Also, can someone recommend an online shop to get all this from?

Would really appreciate any help,
    ShyBoy

p.s I already have a sky dish up which is not used? IS it worth me trying to get that to work first, and if not purchase a bigger dish later?

2. grafzep

grafzep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    http://www.satelliteonline.net/

are often recommended by the good ol' boys over at satdudez. Putting up your own dish is pretty straightforward if you can borrow or buy (c£30) a signal meter. Lyngsat site will tell you what size dish you'll need, and there are on line calculators that, when you type in your location, will give you the angle and bearing you need. A simple compass will get you started, the dishes usually have crude angles stamped on the mount and the rest is just fiddling to get the strongest signal - if you can see the telly you can use the strength meter on the receiver.

the worst bit is going up the ladder!

3. shyboy

shyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks grafzep. That info was excellent. I will let you know how it turns out. :)

4. rogerh

rogerh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Think about an eliptical dish which can be used for 28 deg. 19 deg. and 13 deg. with an LNB for each position. If you have (or are considering) Sky+ then the 28 deg. will need to be a Quad (this is supplied with the Sky+ box).
    You will also need a Diseq switch to enable your receiver to switch between the satellite positions. However SKY boxes don't have Diseq capability and so if yoy use a SKY box to receive your signals you will need a Manual A/B switch instead.
    I have three feeds, 1 into a Sky+ and two into and Echostar box. It works just fine!