1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed for Diva Upgrade

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by JH1, Aug 5, 2004.

1. JH1

JH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have just found this site and would like to ask if anyone can advise how best to upgrade my system.
    I have an Arcam CD73 player and an Arcam A85 amplifier connected to B&W 704 speakers.
    I was considering my next upgrade to be to the new CD192 CD player as I understand there is an upgrade path from the CD73, however talking to a dealer recently, he thought the CD73 was a very good player and did not think I would notice any great improvement in moving up to the CD192. He recommended adding a P85 power amp as my speakers are apparantly hard to drive and he thinks this would improve the sound more.
    Has anyone heard the difference between a CD73 and the new CD192 and does anyone agree the power amp would be the best upgrade at this time?

Thanks

Jason.

2. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    i added a halo a52 poweramp to my a32 setup (I use the a32 only as a preamp now) and the step up was the most noticable out of any of the upgrades I've ever done.

imho, if you added a lesser poweramp i.e. P85 you'll be wishing you had a better poweramp in 6 months time.

fyi i own several arcams peices - A75+, A32, DV88+p.

CaM

3. JH1

JH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks CaM,
    Will give the Halo amp a look if I can find somewhere to demo it. Do you know if this is a relatively new product as it is a bit more than I wanted to pay but didn't know if I might pick one up secondhand?

4. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm a believer in doing upgrades from the beginning of the signal path (source) towards the end. So I would suggest considering and auditioning a CD player first.

Improving the amp first will just as likely serve to be more revealing of deficiencies of the source (not to say Arcam players are deficient, it's all relative).

With that said, a friend of mine recently decided to buy a new stereo system, so I took him to my Arcam dealer. He was interested in the CD73 and A80, which he liked. But within seconds of hearing the CD93 (now replaced by the CD192), he lost interest in the CD73 because the improvement was so immediately dramatic. He bought the CD93 instead, even opting to wait on a receiver upgrade.

Now his next step will be to upgrade his receiver with a A90, and lastly a pair of speakers (Dyaudio Audience 52SE).

And it's exactly the way I would do it were I in his shoes.

Dean

5. BLS

BLS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jason

I would agree with Dean's recommendation, upgrade the source first, then the amplification. Otherwise you'll just hear the flaws of the 73 better.
    I recently upgraded my CD72 to a 93 and it was well worth it. The sound has a lot more snap and bite to it, you'll think the band has just woken up!!
    Of course the simple answer is to do a demo so you can hear the difference for yourself!

6. write2koh

write2koh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi cameronl,

how did u work out the gain matching of a32 and halo a52?

i have been wondering other than p85, which power amp and how can i match it with my a85?

any info is appreciated.

cheers,

7. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    I don't which dealer you went to but the difference between the CD73 and the CD192 is quite dramatic. As for upgrade options I've not been made aware by Arcam yet that there is an upgrade available from the CD73 to the CD192, but the upgrade to the CD93 is still available.

Although the B&Ws are not that hard to drive they have some quite sharp impedance drops at certain frequencies and therefore do benefit from having a bit more power behind them than an A85. The best match for your A85 would be the P90 as the P85 is no longer manufactered stricly speaking. The reason I say strictly speaking is that the P90 is actually exactly the same as the P85 just with a different label in order to numerically match the A90.

8. JH1

JH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly, Thanks to all who have responded with your advice. I'm pleased to hear that there is a great improvement from moving from the CD73 to the CD192/CD93 as this was an upgrade I planned to do when I bought the machine in the first place. I shall be auditioning an CD192 soon.
    Crustyloafer,
    I have checked the Arcam website and if you go into the information on the CD73 and scroll down to the bottom of the screen, it confirms there is an upgrade path from the CD73 to CD192. :thumbsup:

Jason.