1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed for buying a receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by kiwidude, Dec 23, 2004.

1. kiwidude

kiwidude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Wanting to purchase a receiver for my parents lounge down here in Australia to go with some old speakers I am donating to them.

In quick summary I would like a receiver that can
    - drive these speakers at LOW volumes:
    * Mission 735 fronts (150w @ 8ohms)
    * Polk CS350 centre (250W @8ohms)
    * Mission 731 rears
    - only "need" 5.1 channels as they will never have a 7.1 setup
    - has at least 1 component video input and output
    - budget of say up to $A1500 (600pds)
    - easy to use once it is setup (dont need lots of bells & whistles).

Any suggestions anyone? The primary purpose of this setup is to improve the speech sound dialogue of normal tv viewing - they dont get a lot of time to watch movies currently so hence no subwoofer yet and may not even connect up the rears to start with due to their current lounge constraints.

All help and ideas much appreciated - if I'm barking up a wrong tree here please let me know as I have lost touch with this stuff since I bought those speakers 8 years ago...

Regards,
    Grant.

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Grant - If you're buying new then how about the Denon 2805 which retails here in the UK for around £550 (although rrp is £700). Or the Yamaha DSP-AX750SE is around £380 (rrp £500), however this is an amp only - would they need radio?

These are both 7.1 amps/receivers so if you only need 5.1 then how about looking in the classifieds for an amp which is a few years old. You should be able to get quite a decent one for around £600. The above mentioned amps are quite good though as they both have automatic setups which should make life easy for your parents!

3. kiwidude

kiwidude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks very much for the reply - in the end I settled on a Yamaha RX-V650 (for $A899 - they didn't have the 750 in stock, plus it was nearly twice the price at $1599). All set up and working nicely... many thanks for your suggestions.

4. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Great stuff kiwidude. Let us know how you get on!

It's shocking to hear how the 750 was twice the price of the 650 :eek:

5. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    And we think the UK is expensive!!!

6. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Tell me about it :laugh:

7. kiwidude

kiwidude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Must admit I was a bit surprised how crazy some of the Aussie pricing was - it's been a long time since I have looked at buying a/v gear in that part of the world (NZ/Aus). Have lived in the UK for the last 5.5 years and obviously used to the "rip-off Britain" moniker but in NZ/Aus it's pretty expensive at times. To give you another classic example - I looked at the Sony STRDB2000 - it has an Aussie RRP of $A1699 (£680) - you can buy it online in the UK for £340... obviously you can get it discounted well down from that Aus price but it's a ridiculous markup they start with...

Got my parents on broadband while down there - they got an entry level package (256/64kb with 300MB monthly download limit) for £12/month, but to get close to what I have here in the UK (512/128 unlimited) costs £28/mth - keep in mind the normal Australian earns a fraction of the UK salary and you see how expensive it is...

Anyways at least parents are delighted and now I'm dead jealous - have lived without a home theatre system in the UK since moving here from NZ and now missing it more than ever... held off buying anything here as when I eventually go back it will be to a dedicated fully blown h/t room setup and trying to minimise what I would be "throwing away" (already done that once when I left NZ with putting my setup in storage instead of selling it at the time). Spent most of the 30+ hours it took me to fly home reading h/t mags and wondering if it is time to dive in again - perhaps a nice 50" plasma and a sound system this year... dunno if the neighbours will be too impressed though... :nono: