1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed for a newbie

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by rex8, Jan 12, 2005.

1. rex8

rex8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm hoping some of the more experienced members of the forum can help me.
    I am looking to buy my first DVD recorder. Its main purpose in life is to archive some very precious family video tapes I have. Some of these tapes are now 20 years old so the sooner I get them on to DVD the better.
    I do very little taping from the TV so I am not fussed about timer recordings and that sort of thing.
    I have around £250 to spend. What machine will give me the best possible recordings from my tapes and also be easy to use. Thanks very much to any one who replies. :lease:

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,214
    Have a look at this site which should answer many of your questions. Sounds like the JVC range - is for you.

3. captainpacific

captainpacific

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Great guide Rasczak, by the way. I can see why the JVC might appeal for archiving potentially noisy but precious VHS source material. However, if you do go down the JVC road for this reason I would recommend that you read several old threads reagrding JVC reliability, or rather lack of it.

One way around this worry could be to make use of Richer Sounds and their 3 year warranty that is fully refundable if you don't claim. That way you're covered if your experience matches many others in the forum but you get your money back if you're lucky with your unit. They also have a price match guarantee, so you can be sure to get the best deal.

If you don't go with JVC a major consideration for you could be the ability to maximise the quality setting of the DVD recording to the length of the source material. In other words, for example, if your source is 2hrs 20mins long some machines will allow you to choose a custom quality setting that will maximise the quality level used and fills the disc with the 2hr 20min recording. Other machines let you select only a few standard settings (typically 1hr, 2hr, 4hr, 6hr), so if your recording is going to be 2hr 20mins long you are stuck and have to use the lower quality 4hr setting.

Whatever you choose you can expect to buy a good quality machine for your budget.