1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed for a newbie

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by cyberdude, Jan 1, 2005.

1. cyberdude

cyberdude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone. I am new to home theatre and am getting ready to build my first system. I have narrowed it down to the Yamaha Rx-V650 receiver and the Onkyo 602E receiver however I am erring towords the Yamaha due to price.

I would like to partner the Yamaha with JBL SCS200.6 or JBLSCS260.6 speakers but am worried if it may sound too bright. I have heard that Yamahas lean towards a bright sound. I am not interested hearing music through the system just films. Unfortunately, I am unable to find anywhere where I can here this combination. If anyone else can suggest other speakers to try then please suggest. They need to be small and wall mountable.

Also, the system will be placed in our lounge / dinning room which is 21x20ft with the seating area taking up half of the room. Would there be any problems if I mount the surround and rear speakers from the ceiling? Putting them on stands is not an option.

Thanks

2. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    cyberdude,

I'm not an expert on speakers and speaker placements.

Have a look at dolby's speaker layout page - dolby - perhaps there is an answer regarding ceiling mount.

I've found the link to a pdf about dolby digital and it should also have lots of speaker placements answers - [urll=http://www.dolby.com/assets/pdf/tech_library/42_DDFAQ.pdf]dolbydigitalpdf[/url]

Regarding speakers, what is your budget?

Wasabi