1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed for a new AC3 Decoding box

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Twigathy, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Twigathy

Twigathy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

At the moment, im using an analogue system with the TV, DVD, Tuner, Turntable, Cassette deck and a new gadget (Pinnacle Showcenter). However, I need to upgrade to an amp that has AC3 Decoding built in due to limitations with the showcenter sound (it does not downmix sound from 5.1 source to Stereo, my current setup).

What I am looking for is a box that either takes the output of my showcenter (Optical or Co-ax digital output) and converts it into analogue, then feeding into my existing amp or a new amp with lots of anaolgue inputs and a couple of digital ones. Cost is very important to me, not more than £150 if possible.

Thanks for your help

Twigathy

2. ktng

ktng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the Showcentre pick up 5.1 sound from your PC or is it just from your DVD. Whichever it is you should be able to configure the source to downmix to stereo. I've been to the Pinnacle website and information is pretty scant :thumbsdow

Also need to know a bit more about how your system is connected - does your dvd, tuner and cassette deck connect to the Showcentre or directly to the amp. You've said that you want to take the output from the Showcentre (Optical or Coax Digital), but the spec for the Showcentre says that it has 2 sets of stereo outputs (RCA) :confused: and these should be all you need to connect to your current stereo amp.

3. Twigathy

Twigathy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Think of the showcenter as a stand alone seperate just like a DVD player, or whatever :).

Yes, the DVD/TV/Tuner all go straight into the amp via various outputs.

The showcenter itself outputs to the amp via a scart to the TV, however, when there is a 5.1 source the audio does not get downmixed to Stereo and output only goes through the digital outputs. The 5.1 Sources are all AVI files which play back fine on my PC (Got an old sony amp and a couple of wharfdale's for my PC), the real issue here is downmixing the 5.1 to stereo.

I found this
    http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/Content/Products/Details/index.asp?modelcode=SON-STRLV500#spec

and this
    http://www.hifistore.co.uk/product.php?qsProd=410

which might help. The first one has £200 off!

Thanks

Twig

4. ktng

ktng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What happens if you connect one of the stereo outputs to the amp rather than route the sound via the scart?

Not sure how your Showcentre is picking up the 5.1 sound from the PC - is this done over the wireless connection or do you have an optical/coax digital lead connecting them.

Yes you can hook it up to an AV amp/receiver like the Sony, but you still won't get a downmixed stereo - you will just get the left and right of the 5.1 sound; so it depends on the original mix as to how much of the vocals you will get as in theory most of the vocals will come from the centre channel. You could of course connect 5 speakers up to it and then all will be fine.

Not sure what you would expect the speaker switch box to do as it doesn't have any digital input :confused:

5. Twigathy

Twigathy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The media is streamed via the LAN (using cat 5 cables).