Advice needed for a low budget setup

Xoanon

Standard Member
Hi, :hiya:

okay, umm, where to start - this being first post and all..

I *did* have a home cinema, 5.1 philips one box thing - however the dvd player has bitten the dust. It can't be replaced (speaker connections not compatible) or repaired (would cost more than the system originally cost), so I need a new setup and I've been told seperates are the way forward!

Now the problems :rolleyes:

Due to disability I can't wander around shops for demos, so I do need delivery and good advice. I've tried Richer Sounds, however the £70 delivery charge quoted was a little disturbing.

I don't have a lot budget wise either, maybe £300 to £400 at the most. I don't mind a cheapish dvd player, so the majority of budget would be for an AV and speakers (although I do have the 5.1 speaker set from the old system still, it just depends if they can be made to fit. I have no idea, being very non technical).

I'd like to be able to run the dvd player, Wii, Xbox, BT Vision and possibly even the PC sound through the AV - assuming thats possible on my budget!

My current thinking is the STRDH800 and Yamaha NSP110 speakers, can anybody suggest anything better, cheaper or preferably both :p:laugh:

Thanks in advance

johnincov

Standard Member
Hi,

for what its worth I would be looking for second hand speakers and a new amp. You want to get a combination of bright amp, warm speakers or the other way round. There are some real bargains out there, I paid £150 for a pair of Tannoy Revolution R2 floorstanders and matching centre speaker from ebay and I think they sound much better than anything new in that price range. I have all of the sources you mentioned (bar the xbox) connected to my amp (Denon 1906, bought new for £250, but in hindsight not the best speaker/amp pairing as both are warm) so it can be done. You just need to get the connections sorted, the DVD player will kick out coax or optical, the wii is component, the BT vision is optical, don't know about the xbox, it is either optical or coax. Of course the DH800 will support sound over HDMI so you would future proof yourself for HD audio from a Blu Ray player. The BT box will do HDMI out as would a new DVD player if it upscales. The DH800 will not upscale the Wii, you would have to use the component out from the amp as well as the HDMI out, but that's not a major issue.

What TV have you got?

J

Xoanon

Standard Member
The TV is one of Asdas finest! The Model is Baier, it's 28in Widescreen HD LCD and has various inputs (but only one HDMI). If you need to know something more specific, just ask :)

You've confused me slightly as well, with the connections.

I was working on the assumption that I would be able to connect the DVD and BT box via HDMI and the consoles by component. If I add in the PC then I think that's optical, not sure though. Then the output would be HDMI to the TV.

You mention that the AV won't upscale the Wii (and probably not the Xbox either) though. So I'd need a non HDMI output as well? I'm afraid I have no idea what that means, but if it's what I need then fair enough. :D

Finally, I'm about to sound really stupid :rolleyes:
What's bright/warm with regard to AV/Speakers and how can you tell without hearing them :confused:

dante01

Distinguished Member
I'd suggest you avoid purchasing seconhand speakers if at all possible :D

You can get the Yamaha RXV465 for £250 from Peter Tyson, who unlike Richer Sounds do free delivery and include it in the prices they show online:
Yamaha RXV465

I'd suggest the Jamo A102HCS5 5.1 speaker package for use with the Yamaha. You can get the Jamo package for £225 with free shipping from Amazon:
Amazon.co.uk: Used and New: Jamo A102HCS5 5.1 Speaker Package 500W - Black

Total price: £475

If you need delivery have a look at amazon.co.uk they are very good re delivery charges.:smashin:

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
I'd suggest you avoid purchasing seconhand speakers if at all possible :D

You can get the Yamaha RXV465 for £250 from Peter Tyson, who unlike Richer Sounds do free delivery and include it in the prices they show online:
Yamaha RXV465

I'd suggest the Jamo A102HCS5 5.1 speaker package for use with the Yamaha. You can get the Jamo package for £225 with free shipping from Amazon:
Amazon.co.uk: Used and New: Jamo A102HCS5 5.1 Speaker Package 500W - Black

Total price: £475

That is a good alternative to the Onkyo 507/Tannoy SFX5.1 combo; slightly more expensive but probably worth it.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Finally, I'm about to sound really stupid :rolleyes:
What's bright/warm with regard to AV/Speakers and how can you tell without hearing them :confused:

Bright equates to clinical and biased toward the treble. Warm is more laidback with a biased toward the lower end mid range.

Upconversion would mean that a lesser analogue signal is converted to a digital signal. This allows you to connect analogue components and output them via a single HDMI lead. Upscaling makes a lower resolution input up to a higher resolution output. The cheapest AV amp with upconversion (not upscaling) is the £300 Denon AVR1610.

dante01

Distinguished Member
That is a good alternative to the Onkyo 507/Tannoy SFX5.1 combo; slightly more expensive but probably worth it.

He'd need to go to RS for these items in order to get them at the low price RS list them for. The OP is unable to visit a store and is finding it uneconomical to purchase the items online from RS because of delivery charges ;)

Due to disability I can't wander around shops for demos, so I do need delivery and good advice. I've tried Richer Sounds, however the £70 delivery charge quoted was a little disturbing.

Last edited:

Xoanon

Standard Member
Bright equates to clinical and biased toward the treble. Warm is more laidback with a biased toward the lower end mid range.

Upconversion would mean that a lesser analogue signal is converted to a digital signal. This allows you to connect analogue components and output them via a single HDMI lead. Upscaling makes a lower resolution input up to a higher resolution output. The cheapest AV amp with upconversion (not upscaling) is the £300 Denon AVR1610.

Right, I see about bright and warm. But still, how do you know without listening?

Ah, Upscaling I knew! DVD players do that (finally, something I understand :clap:). Upconversion, then, is what I'd need if I wanted to use a single HDMI output, rather than a HDMI and a Component output? Is that right?

Also, I'll be honest guys, my budget really can't be pushed any more than it is already - £400 is an absolute maximum.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Right, I see about bright and warm. But still, how do you know without listening?

Ah, Upscaling I knew! DVD players do that (finally, something I understand :clap:). Upconversion, then, is what I'd need if I wanted to use a single HDMI output, rather than a HDMI and a Component output? Is that right?

Also, I'll be honest guys, my budget really can't be pushed any more than it is already - £400 is an absolute maximum.

Seeing as you are unable to demo the amps and speakers then you'll have to rely on our ears and experience.

Upconversion would allow you to connect non HDMI components to the amp and output everything via one single HDMI lead to your TV.

If you've a maximum budget of £400 then you are not going to be able to afford an AV amp with upconversion. As I said, the cheapest amp with this is the £300 Denon AVR1610 and purchasing this will only leve you with £100 for speakers.

Xoanon

Standard Member
Then, as far as it goes, Upconversion isn't important! An extra wire or two is fine. :D

So, what should I be looking at instead then? :lease:

I am now at the mercy of those reading this for a system! :eek:

dante01

Distinguished Member
Then, as far as it goes, Upconversion isn't important! An extra wire or two is fine. :D

So, what should I be looking at instead then? :lease:

I am now at the mercy of those reading this for a system! :eek:

I'd seriously suggest you try raise an extra £100. You'll get the more advanced HDMI audio amps if you spend a bit more than your current £400 budget allows for.

Your best options would probably be the two AV amps that have already been mentioned. The Onkyo TXSR507 would be better suited to the £200 Tannoy SFX speaker package though.

Xoanon

Standard Member
Believe me, if I could up the budget I would. I've been without any kind of proper dvd player since the beginning of the year, and I'm getting withdrawl symptoms! :suicide:

However in early December the VAT rate will increase again and so increase the cost, which is why I'm trying to get this sorted now with what I have, otherwise it could be the middle of next year before I can afford it :rolleyes:

I wish I had the luxury of a choice, unfortunately I don't :(

dante01

Distinguished Member
Believe me, if I could up the budget I would. I've been without any kind of proper dvd player since the beginning of the year, and I'm getting withdrawl symptoms! :suicide:

However in early December the VAT rate will increase again and so increase the cost, which is why I'm trying to get this sorted now with what I have, otherwise it could be the middle of next year before I can afford it :rolleyes:

I wish I had the luxury of a choice, unfortunately I don't :(

Are you aware that the AV amps being discussed in this forum are just that and do not incorporate a DVD player?

Xoanon

Standard Member
I am, I have got that covered seperately. The dvd player is the one thing I am comfortable in buying without advice :)

Unlike the AV/Speakers, I know exactly what I'm looking for, and as I said initially I will get a cheaper one if necessary and upgrade it as and when.

dante01

Distinguished Member
I am, I have got that covered seperately. The dvd player is the one thing I am comfortable in buying without advice :)

Unlike the AV/Speakers, I know exactly what I'm looking for, and as I said initially I will get a cheaper one if necessary and upgrade it as and when.

k

Thought it wise to check ;)

I guess we'll be looking at the non HDMI audio amps then? These amps have HDMI, but the HDMI interface on them only deals with video. Seperate and additional connections must also be made between HDMI components and the amp for the audio. These amps usually cost between £150 and £200.

The other alternative is to still go for one of the HDMI audio capable amps at £250 and look at speaker packages for £150?

Xoanon

Standard Member
I was thinking something similar (but without the technical details)!

As I'm so limited, am I better buying a better AV and cheaper speakers or vice versa? Or, of course, roughly the same on each?

As long as whatever way around it lasts for a couple of years until I can afford to upgrade!

dante01

Distinguished Member
I was thinking something similar (but without the technical details)!

As I'm so limited, am I better buying a better AV and cheaper speakers or vice versa? Or, of course, roughly the same on each?

As long as whatever way around it lasts for a couple of years until I can afford to upgrade!

If you feel that you'll be able to upgrade then you'd be better spending more on the amp to begin with and then replace the speakers in stages. This will result in less of a all out payment in the mid term future.

You could purchase the Yamaha RXV465 and the Yamaha NSP280 speaker package for £390:
Yamaha NSP280

Xoanon

Standard Member
Hmm, interesting!

Next question :p

I'm still tempted by the Sony STRDH800, so whats the difference between that, the Onyko and the Yamaha (without being too technical!)

Also, what is the difference between the Yamaha NSP 270 and 280 speakers?

I could just about stretch to the Sony and the 270's, assuming thats a combination that would work!

dante01

Distinguished Member
Hmm, interesting!

Next question :p

I'm still tempted by the Sony STRDH800, so whats the difference between that, the Onyko and the Yamaha (without being too technical!)

Also, what is the difference between the Yamaha NSP 270 and 280 speakers?

I could just about stretch to the Sony and the 270's, assuming thats a combination that would work!

Well, for a start it will cost you £280. It is a 7.1 AV receiver, meaning you can attach 7 speakers and a subwoofer to it. The Onkyo and the Yamaha models are 5.1. If you don't want, can't accommodate or afford the additional speakers then I'd suggest you once again look at either the Onkyo or the Yamaha and put the money you'll save towards speakers.

Xoanon

Standard Member
I think the phrase would be can't afford yet! I could live with 5.1 from a 7.1 system, if the 7.1 was more reliable/futureproof/would just last longer!

That would just come down to upgrading the speakers as and when I can.

But ignoring the speakers for the moment, which is the better AV of the 3?

dante01

Distinguished Member
I think the phrase would be can't afford yet! I could live with 5.1 from a 7.1 system, if the 7.1 was more reliable/futureproof/would just last longer!

That would just come down to upgrading the speakers as and when I can.

But ignoring the speakers for the moment, which is the better AV of the 3?

They are relatively equal, although the Onkyo and Sony both have a slightly better physical build quality in comparison to the Yamaha and the Sony obviously has the advantage of being 7.1 as opposed to 5.1. You can expect roughly the same quality of sound from both the Onkyo and the Sony, but I'd rate the Yamaha has having a slightly more amenable sound due to its warmth. The Sony and Onkyo are what I'd class as being clinical.

Xoanon

Standard Member
Ah, these technical terms ;)

However, the impression I got was that it's the combination of speakers and AV that give the sound?

Is this not right? In which case which has more 'influence' over the quality? Maybe more importantly, what are the Yamaha 270/280 speakers?

As an aside, I'd prefer something more warm/bassy.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone