1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ADVICE NEEDED : Computer speakers + receiver?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by AlextheGreat, Oct 10, 2003.

1. AlextheGreat

AlextheGreat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm about to buy this receiver:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...d=10573&logon=&langid=EN&dept=10&WLBS=fs-web3

but I have one question, will it work if using my 5.1 computer speakers?

The speakers plug into the subwoofer then there are 3 inputs on it, if I take that 3 input/output wire and clip it, seperate the inner wires and plug them into the red/black plugs on the receiver.. will this work? There is also a volume control on the subwoofer.. and of course it gets plugged into the wall power. Would I leave it unplugged because the receiver would power it? or what? Please help :)

2. agendrano

agendrano
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It might work, but I doubt if you would get good quality sound.

Usually, in a computer speaker system, the small amp and crossover are housed in the subwoofer box. Specs on the crossover frequency are not published so most likely you will not know what is the frequency response on each speaker. I doubt if those small satellite can handle less than 200Hz. I also doubt if the speaker can handle the power from the JVC receiver.

Also powering your computer 5.1 speaker with the amp and powering the subwoofer with its existing small amp would likely be a mismatch (your sub being overpowered by your satellites). You might end up with having a system with no bass!

You might be better off getting a new set speakers.

3. AlextheGreat

AlextheGreat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm interesting, but I could open the subwoofer and bypass the amp, no? should be simple enough since they probably use a generic sort of speaker I would assume.. that leaves the matter of power.. is it possible that my receiver could get damaged if I blew the speakers? I don't really care about the speakers themselves but I would not want to destroy a new receiver. I know it would be much better to buy speakers but I really don't have a lot of money and was hoping I could get some kind of 5.1 with this. Anyways, thanks for your help.

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMO JVC reciever's aren't that great, I would consider something else- Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon, HK, NAD etc.
    Have a look around and see what $270 gets you from second hand AV amps - you will get a better quality AV amp for the same money, with better poweramp stages, build, sound quality (it might loose a couple of newer formats, but I would rather have sound quality rather than the latest "gimmicks")

It says incapable of 4 Ohm speakers, a bad sign- especially if you plan to use something like M&K K series speakers, certainly not expensive (but they are 4 Ohm)

5. jameslindsey

jameslindsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Whilst bypassing the amps in your computer speakers and connecting to a receiver directrly will work. I would not recommend it. The Receiver will be far too powerfull for the speakers and if you blow them you may damage the amp if it is not properly protected. Besides it'll probably sound fairly pants.

If I were you and money is very tight, look at some of the system in a box options from the same supplier. Whilst these will not rival a separate receiver and quality speakers, It is far more preferable than messing about with poor quality computer speakers and risking your investment in HiFi.

The other option is to buy the receiver and a set of front bookshelf speakers. Adding a centre, surrounds and maybe a sub when you can afford it.

Good luck.