Advice needed: Centre rears

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Mac, Dec 12, 2002.

1. Mac

Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What does everyone think is the best type of speaker for a centre rear - just a normal speaker that you might use in a front pair and mount it on a stand/a dedicated surround speaker/centre speaker?

Mac

2. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That all depends upon where you sit in relation to the centre rear.
    If you're a good way away from it (1m+) then a direct radiator, such as a bookshelf or another centre speaker is probably you're best bet. If you're under a meter away from the speaker, then a diffuse radiator (bi,di or tri-pole) is probably going to be the most effective - and of the three a bi-pole should produce the most natual results at centre rear. Although this varies from person to person, so don't take that as gospel.

3. Sessen Ryu

Sessen Ryu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Interesting question. I would be tempted to use the same speaker as the front center for the rear centre... (presuming that your existing 5.0 speakers are the same make etc... else i would use the same speaker as the existing rear surrounds for the rear centre.

I've got a 5.1 setup at the moment - if i was upgrading to 7.1 I would definitley use the exactly the same speakers as the existing surrounds....

4. Phil_Yeoman

Phil_Yeoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This is an interesing question which I have spent a great deal of time and trouble trying to find a solution to. In short you should always try to use the same type of speakers that the use for your surrounds. Don't go for another center as these tend to be too directional as well as you will need to use a pair to get full ex sound.

If your seating posistion is against a wall then you will realy spoil the overall sound field by trying to add center effects they will tend to washout the rest of the rear sound field!

Phil