Advice needed by person who does not know anything about tv!

josephobrien200

Established Member
Reaction score
Dear All
I have a NEC 40" LCD Colour Monitor which has a wide variety of inputs.
I need to urgently set this up in a temporary waiting room to show Freeview TV.
The monitor has SVIDEO inputs, Composite inputs and RGB inputs (BNC connector), as well as audio inputs. Also DVI-D.
I have BNC to phono adapters.
Is there a freeview box out there that I can buy to use with this monitor? Most have HDMI or SCART. I have a SCART to x3 phono lead but Im guessing (correctly?) that one of these this wires is video and the other two are audio (L and R). They are coloured yellow, white and red.
Any advicwe would be appreciated. It would not be impossible for me to out and buy a 32" TV instead but that would take time that I dont have.
Joe

Many Freeview boxes will also have RGB output but would then require a cable with the right connections; the wires would by convention be coloured red, green and blue (as you might expect).
If you get a Freeview box with an HDMI output, then a DVI to HDMI lead should also work..
In either case you would need a separate audio lead (which can be within the same cable as the SCART-to-RGB).

Your scart - 3 phono cables will work perfectly with any freeview box which has a scart socket. The yellow cable is the video signal, red is right and white is left audio.
Does the monitor have built in speakers and an audio input?
If not then you will need an amplifier and speaker combination to get the sound. (assuming you want it)

Thanks for your help

A chap at work pointed out a composite input , yellow phone socket. This accepted the yellow lead from the scart cable
Audio l and r went into audio in phonos.
I then connected some speakers into audio out.
All works fine now

many thanks for helpoing

Glad you have it working; I only suggested other methods because in theory they would produce a better picture but, if your current results are adequate, I would recommend sticking with the devil you know.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom