1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed, buying upgrade!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by usman24, Aug 12, 2005.

1. usman24

Aug 3, 2004
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    I own a Hitachi 42pd5200 and am ready to upgrade it. I have read endless reviews on pioneer and panasonic plasmas on worldwide review sites. According to many reviews, Panasonic seems to have the edge in terms of black level, contrast, lowest levels of false contouring, greyscale levels and hardly any scaling artifacts. Are these reviews accurate? I have read reviews from U.S sites and they seem to think Alis panels have decent black/contrast levels [not good or great] and are prone to false contouring and scaling artifacts such as purple patches in dark areas, dark grey/black.

I have to be honest and say that you can get a great picture from the hitachi with well encoded discs and decent blacks but scaling artifacts are present occasionaly and false contouring [lack of greyscale gradations?].

What would anyone reccommmed on this forum as a great upgrade from my Hitachi 42pd5200 that meets the standards or gets close to crt picture quality out plasma or Dlp sets currently available.
  2. Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Hi usman...I have the 42pv500 and its absolutely gorgeous...I have had none of the problems posted (touch wood) since owning it for a month now. I run a Panasonic S97 dvd player via HDMI and the pq is absolutely gorgeous...pictures via my telewest digital cable box are also impressive considering the compressed nature of such broadcasts. However as I have no experience of the tv u currently have I couldnt judge it against mine. Obviously a demo of one of the Panasonics would be a gr8 idea..getting a decent demo isnt easy though...the shop displays like Dixons certainly dont do such TVs justice...but this is the best tv ive ever owned and was worth every penny IMHO