Advice needed - bookshelf speakers + amp for open plan room

I’ve used external DAC’s with my Node2i before, no delay in the sound.

The Topping uses its own master clock which converts the sound from digital to analog. So if in rare cases should you experience lip sync/delays just turn off the audio clock trim in audio settings on the Bluesound units.

I really doubt you’ll have any issues. And you can always return it.

But try the alternatives you in the end have decided to buy, it may be the best before the Powernode 2i was discussed.

@darrenhaken, are you still debating what to buy? Have you listed to the Silver speakers?

@darrenhaken, are you still debating what to buy? Have you listed to the Silver speakers?
As of about an hour or two ago I made my decision.

I went and listened to the Cyrus One HD, Audiolab 6000A and the Rega Brio. Tested it with B&W 606s and MA Silver 200s.

I narrowed it down to the Cyrus and the Brio, I enjoyed their sound much more to the Audiolab. The Audiolab sounded very neutral in comparison.

I opted for the Brio as it was cheaper and I'll likely gain very little value from the Cyrus on board DAC given I'll be using a streamer (with DAC). The power of the Cyrus would have been a bonus though.

I'm now stuck trying to decide between a raspberry pi streamer or Bluesound node. Discussing this in another thread!

As of about an hour or two ago I made my decision.

I went and listened to the Cyrus One HD, Audiolab 6000A and the Rega Brio. Tested it with B&W 606s and MA Silver 200s.

I narrowed it down to the Cyrus and the Brio, I enjoyed their sound much more to the Audiolab. The Audiolab sounded very neutral in comparison.

I opted for the Brio as it was cheaper and I'll likely gain very little value from the Cyrus on board DAC given I'll be using a streamer (with DAC). The power of the Cyrus would have been a bonus though.

I'm now stuck trying to decide between a raspberry pi streamer or Bluesound node. Discussing this in another thread!
Excellent choice. Rega make first-class amplifiers. It will give you a lot of listening pleasure.

Excellent choice. Rega make first-class amplifiers. It will give you a lot of listening pleasure.
I nearly bought the Cyrus as it has HT like the Audiolab but I decided to stick with the Brio in the end.

It's a tiny little thing, can't say I love the appearance but it's fine. If I told friends it's vintage gear they'd 100% believe me

If you have a subwoofer in the living room, have you considered moving the opticon 6 mk2 into the back room and getting a pair of opticon mk2 LCR for left and right duties in the living room.

If you have a subwoofer in the living room, have you considered moving the opticon 6 mk2 into the back room and getting a pair of opticon mk2 LCR for left and right duties in the living room.
3x Opticon LCR would be a lot of speaker!

I remember researching them when I bought my 6's and I could never find any reviews of them.

Got the MA Silver 100s home and my OH is not happy with their size, they might need to go back 🤯

Are there other smaller speakers that you'd recommend?

Got the MA Silver 100s home and my OH is not happy with their size, they might need to go back 🤯

The new 7g Silvers look nice and they might impress her?

How about the Opticon 2 mark 2, they're a lot smaller and less than 200mm wide. There is an open box on offer on ebay.

Yeah the silver 50s but they're not cheap for tiny bookshelf speakers. On paper, they lack the bass so probably not suitable for a large open plan space unless you add a sub.

How about the Oberon 3.. smaller than silver 100 but have a 7 inch woofer.

Yeah the silver 50s but they're not cheap for tiny bookshelf speakers. On paper, they lack the bass so probably not suitable for a large open plan space unless you add a sub.

How about the Oberon 3.. smaller than silver 100 but have a 7 inch woofer.
Oberon 3 might be a good shout. I will check their dimensions.

I was originally looking at B&W 606s as well. On paper they are smaller than the Silver 100s but not by a large amount. I wonder if it would be enough.

Any thoughts on B&W 607?

Oberon 3 might be a good shout. I will check their dimensions.

I was originally looking at B&W 606s as well. On paper they are smaller than the Silver 100s but not by a large amount. I wonder if it would be enough.

Any thoughts on B&W 607?
All personal preference, some love the way they sound, some don't.. Personally Ive never been a fan of the sound signature of B and w speakers.

Sonus Faber Lumina. If you need subwoofers or not is probably a yes.

Warm sound, but over priced. Oberon 3 are fine speakers, go for those.

Me personally if looking for stand mounted speakers would buy the new MA speakers.

I am considering the MA Silver 50, the new series. To put in the room I have my Oberon 5, and add one subwoofer in the corner. :D

But the subwoofer is going to be pain to blend in perfectly with MA 50. But patience.....

KEF Q350. KEF R100.

Sonus Faber Lumina. If you need subwoofers or not is probably a yes.

Warm sound, but over priced. Oberon 3 are fine speakers, go for those.

Me personally if looking for stand mounted speakers would buy the new MA speakers.

I am considering the MA Silver 50, the new series. To put in the room I have my Oberon 5, and add one subwoofer in the corner. :D
Would you consider the MA Silver 50s then?

Here’s my latest config: the Concept 20s up one end, the B&W 606s the other. Cosmetically, my OH loves them both. Sonically, I do as well ! 😂
You can get it all in black too. However, listen if you can. …

Attachments

• CC50D41A-96E3-43CF-B747-83E4660B50A3.jpeg
    CC50D41A-96E3-43CF-B747-83E4660B50A3.jpeg
    298.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 535FC4D5-359F-4F5E-8F35-879A4DBA277B.jpeg
    535FC4D5-359F-4F5E-8F35-879A4DBA277B.jpeg
    344 KB · Views: 86
Here’s my latest config: the Concept 20s up one end, the B&W 606s the other. Cosmetically, my OH loves them both. Sonically, I do as well ! 😂
You can get it all in black too. However, listen if you can. …
Which dimensions does the top plate has? Height also? Do they accept M6.M8 spikes? Perhaps considering the silver 50.100 speakers. But both are large speakers.

I’m afraid you’re only going to be able to make the correct decision by actually auditioning some speakers. We can all reel off speakers makes and models but only you can decide what suits you. I would recommend B & W 606 S2 but it’s only a recommendation for an audition. You really need to hear these speakers before buying them. Trust your ears.

Nordstone Stylum Stands suits the Silver, 50 100, so does the Q concept also.

Nordstone Stylum Stands suits the Silver, 50 100, so does the Q concept also.
I think the 606 might look smaller than the MA Silver 100s...thoughts?

Attachments

• 20210903_145816.jpg
    20210903_145816.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 92
I think the 606 might look smaller than the MA Silver 100s...thoughts?
If I am not wrong the Concept stands are 200 in depth. With is 13 cm.

So the depth is pretty much covered since the Silver speakers are 30-33 cm in depth. 13 cm wide can perhaps be problems but since @Jester1066 is using Atacama stands, you should be okey.

Perhaps he can say the dimensions on the top plate, and which stands he’s using. Atacama Moseco, Nexus something like that. How much the weight is each with the stands/speakers/Atacama filler.

The Nordstone stands I mentioned have top plate which measures 200, 200 mm, they should be okey.

Last edited:
The Silver speakers dimensions are 33 mm depth, 23 mm wide.

So most stands are 15 mm wide, 18-20 mm depth. Because the of the depth of the speakers it might be a problem, still with Blue-Tech you should be fine.

They are of of course 37 mm in height. But they weigh 9 kg each.

The STA 24 weights 7 kg-9 kg each. With Atacama sand filler/play sand perhaps as much as 20 kg each.

I believe even if most stands are the dimensions I am mentioning you’ll be fine.

But I agree with you the Silver 100 are monster!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom