1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed as nerves in shreds

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Faust, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    As you some of you may know, I managed to upset a number of members on the Plasma forum by indicating I thought computer games were childish. However, never let it be said that I have a closed mind and am not willing to try something new. With this in mind my neighbours lad brought round Colin McRae Rally 2.0 for PC last night. I already had a joystick Saitek ST330 Rumble Force – I know nothing about this joystick other than it came with my PC so have no idea whether it is good bad or indifferent. However, I do know that after loading the game and trying it out for an hour I was absolutely drained and ended up with a banging headache. I simply cannot go beyond 15 miles an hour without slewing off the course, and even then it is difficult to keep the car in a straight line (we are talking Novice Level here). Is this usual, or do you think the problem lies with either me or the joystick. There appears to be no feel with the joystick and the slightest touch makes the car lurch violently. Or is it as someone else suggested, that these games are better played on a dedicated console i.e. PS2 or Xbox along with a dedicated controller. I’m not minded to pay out a £100 simply to find out, but would like to know simply out of curiosity, as after last night my stress levels must have been through the roof.

2. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432

I am not 100% sure about it, as I don't own a joystick or that game .... but usually there is a driver configuration within windows --- or a input configuration / controls config in the game that controls 'sensitivity'

basically - lower the sensitivity so that it takes more force / a longer pull to affect a change in direction for the game.

Alot of it is trail and error with settings to find a sensitivty that suits you - too low and its sluggish - too fast and if you breathe funny you are suddenly going sideways.

---

The largest age group in the games market are men in their 30's - while some games clearly are 'childish' and were designed to be ... others are simulations that are close enough to the real world to make it possible to for example fly a plane .... remember the stink over flight sims after 9-11

I've been playing 'games' for the past 25 years - and many of them certainly aren't childish ... I wouldn't let a child near them ;)

I always find the best way to dispel the 'myths' about what is childish and what is not ... is to get the accuser to explain in a mature and articulate manner exactly why its childish.
    -- usually this results in 'well it just is, so there' ;)

3. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Thanks for the input Ethics Gradient - is there another option then for PC other than a joystick? Might sound a stupid question, but as this is all new to me I would like a chance albeit a small one of getting the car around the circuit - just once. I am thinking something on the lines of the controller for PS2 Xbox.

4. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    you can get controllers more or less identical to the console ones - or you can get used to mouse and keyboard ... there are Yolks / steering wheels and throttles avail.

Depends what you want to spend and how serious you want to be about it.

I personally donlt play simulation type games and I find the driving games tedious - but thats just my tastes, I prefer first person shooters though not the brainless ones - things like Half Life 2, Theif etc are more my line.
    Currently playing World of Warcraft .... obsessively ( its a multiplayer online action role play game )

5. MRW

MRW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Are you mad?

Trying to drive a car with a joystick?

Next you'll be playing a flight sim with a steering wheel.

If you really want to do well in a realistic(ish) driving simulator like CMR, get a steering wheel for your PC.

If not, then the keyboard should be OK, it's what I use, although you're always going to struggle with a digital input (such as a keyboard) against an analogue input (such as a steering wheel).

6. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Thanks for the info Ethics Gradient - I will have a look around at what's available. I just hate not been able to get to grips with something. I know a good workmen should not blame his tools, but no none said the workmen cannot try a different tool. Now if that doesn't work then I will just relegate myself to nump - some may say what do you mean relegate, but that's another story.

7. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Just try it with the keyboard, if you enjoy it and get get used to it then you may want to buy a stearing wheel, although i son't think there are many about. Microsoft and Logitech probably make some and in the non/forcefeedback variety and usualy come with pedals.

Have a look in somewhere like PC world, they usaly come with a free racing game too.

Oh and some games are for kids but so are some books and movies, the majority of games are probably aimed at the same age group thats been growing up with games i.e. those between 20-30 who have been playing all there lives.

8. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I recomend a pad with analog sticks. (like the PS2 pad) That way you get the sensativity needed from an analog device without spending a fortune.
    Unless you intend to play lots of car sims or racers, then a steering wheel would be best.

Personally I also play mainly FPS and RTS games on my PC so keyboard mouse is enough. I did however buy a really expensive mouse. (2000dpi!!)

You could also go for a console lile the XBox 360 or PS3. These machines (when they come out) will be more powerfull than a brand new PC.
    (im sure eventually PCs will go beyond these new consoles, but for the moment they will be the most powerfull thing arround!)

9. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Thanks for all the info and support everyone. I will probably look for a game pad and see if I can do any better. I had thought about a PS2 or Xbox as they are now quite cheap. However, I think you have to link them up to the t.v. and that is a none starter, or at least that is what I have been told i.e. you cannot put therm through your PC monitor.

10. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Not without something inbetween or a tv card that accepts the required input.